CD rates on the rise

On 12/13/2023 at 5:55 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

My online bank has a one year cd for 5.50% and a five year for 3.45% so I'm going to put some in both. Should I put most of it in a five year you think even though the one year rate is so good?

No on the 5 year CD.  The 5-year Treasury traded today at 3.92% with no state or local taxes.  You can buy one easily if you have a brokerage account.

Edited by augustus

11 hours ago, augustus said:

No on the 5 year CD.  The 5-year Treasury traded today at 3.92% with no state or local taxes.  You can buy one easily if you have a brokerage account.

I'm just using my online bank for the convenience of already having an account with them. I'll just do the one year CD. I'm gonna buy a $10k bond at the end of January as well.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I'm just using my online bank for the convenience of already having an account with them. I'll just do the one year CD. I'm gonna buy a $10k bond at the end of January as well.

Also it's hard to put too much money into a 5 year CD because that's quite a long time to not have access to money. I can put a much higher amount into a 1 year.

• 3 weeks later...

Are bank CD rates starting to drop?

I have a CD coming due and asked the Citibank agent what the best rate is. He said 5.25% for 7 months. That’s down from 5.50%. Rates at Citibank are announced every Tuesday.  

1 hour ago, Cooper said:

Are bank CD rates starting to drop?

I have a CD coming due and asked the Citibank agent what the best rate is. He said 5.25% for 7 months. That’s down from 5.50%. Rates at Citibank are announced every Tuesday.  

Not sure specifically about bank CDs, but I noticed treasuries have dropped a little bit.  I think the market is starting to (rightly or wrongly) price in Fed rate cuts for 2024.  Until the Fed actually does do that, I think any current downside will be limited.

Since there is a chance we might be at the top of the rate cycle, I went ahead and bought a 2 year CD from Goldmans about a month ago and have extended my 3 month purchases out to 6 month treasury purchases.

Interestingly, I have an account at Ivy bank and their Index savings is at 5.696% APY and their regular savings is at 5.3% APY.  Of course, these are not local tax free accounts so I'll have to pay a little more taxes on the interest.

Edited by Jim_n_NYC

Here are the treasury rates listed on Fidelity after the employment report came out this morning.  Not sure how they moved since I didn't look at them prior to the report...

1 month:  5.361%

3 month:  5.319%

6 month:  5.16%

For those who live in high tax places like NYC, you'd be saving 10% (about) in taxes on this interest (depending on your tax bracket)...so you'd be keeping an extra 0.52ish % out of those 5+% rates...if I did the math correctly.

11 hours ago, MikePDNA51 said:

What are some CD’s I should be investing in for a high return in 6-12 months? 

Check the websites of the local banks near you.  You should be able to get at least 5% from one of them for 6-12 months. 

Edited by augustus

CD rates at Citibank continue to drop. Today’s best rate for 7 a month CD with no minimum is down to 5.01%. That’s down from 5.25% of last week and 5.50% from a month ago. 

7-Month

APY

5.01%

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the spreads are really getting larger.  After Cooper's post I went to check a 6 month treasury that executed yesterday and the annual equivalent rate is 5.3%.  Wonder if the banks are pricing in the lower rates for their CD's to make sure they don't get squeezed.

6 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

You're almost better off now buying an ibond. The rate you'll get is 5.27% for the first six months. You have until the end of April to buy it at that rate.

If I knew I would keep it five years, I'd be tempted.  But we're fully retiring in 2.5 so regular old treasuries are fine with us.

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2024 at 12:15 PM, augustus said:

BMO Alto Bank is offering 5.50% for a 1-year CD no minimum and can be opened online.  BMO Alto is a fairly large bank.  It is a subsidiary of Bank of Montreal and FDIC insured.  

I see BMO Alto frequently ranked on the Bankrate.com CD page.  I also see a large credit union out of Salt Lake City.  While their CD rates are attractive I hesitate doing business without a local branch for face to face support.

Am I being too careful?  Do others of you have similar concerns?

Also, are there other websites besides bankrate.com that are helpful for tracking best CD rates?

On 3/23/2024 at 6:09 PM, TonyDown said:

I see BMO Alto frequently ranked on the Bankrate.com CD page.  I also see a large credit union out of Salt Lake City.  While their CD rates are attractive I hesitate doing business without a local branch for face to face support.

Am I being too careful?  Do others of you have similar concerns?

Also, are there other websites besides bankrate.com that are helpful for tracking best CD rates?

I've had CD's with out of state banks and credit unions.  Never had a problem.  Most banks don't or won't send you monthly statements anymore so you should set up online access and check it regularly.  I wouldn't set up a checking account or even a savings account with an out of state institution because, like you, I'd rather have the face to face support in case there's a problem like you need to stop payment on a check.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2024 at 4:37 AM, Cooper said:

Citibank came out with their new CD rates. No change. Their best rate is still 6 months @ 4.75%. 

I checked the Vanguard Website. 

They offer brokered CDs around 5.1%.  I had not heard of brokered CDs until now.  This seems easier than dealing with all the various banks and their disclosures   

Vanguard had other fixed income options as well such as municipal and corporate bonds from 5 to 8%.  I will do some research before deciding.

Sorry I don't mean to advertise for Vanguard.  I also checked Schwab.   I should take a look at Fidelity also.