CD rates on the rise

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 11:19 AM, Jim_n_NYC said:

I buy my T-bills through Fidelity.  They have both the secondary and the treasury issue ones.  The Treasury issues don't have a fee.  I'm still doing 3-month bills and the rate is just above 4.7% now.

Latest buy is just a hair below 5% for the 3 month treasuries.  Came out to 4.95% when I computed using compounding every quarter.  The best regular 3 month CDs on Fidelity were listed at 4.65% (which comes out to 4.73% with quarterly compounding).

4 hours ago, rojjodc said:

Just saw an artic le that some banks are offer rates of 6% now!

I was like 'Artic what?'  At first, lol.  The rates I'm watching are short term (3 months) since I don't want to lock in anything long term while rates are going up.  Powell testified to Congress today and said (to the effect) that rates may have to go up more than they expected to tamp down the economy (to tame inflation).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, Cooper said:

For those of you who keep a savings account, check out the new CD rates at Citibank. Effective 8/9-8/15.

1 year 2.50%
1 year no penalty for early withdrawal 1.50%
18 month 2.75%

Was at Citibank today. The best CD rate I could get was 9 months at 4.75%. 

14 hours ago, Cooper said:

Was at Citibank today. The best CD rate I could get was 9 months at 4.75%. 

I got the Apple High Yield. Didn’t put too much faith on it.   I have the Apple CC so it was almost automatically offered to me to deposit the Apple  Cash Back. I have a couple of  CD online, so far their good at 5%. 
And Axel Hotel Barcelona accepted Apple CC. No foreign fee and 2% cash back. No bad.  
I am very skeptical  individual so I’ll keep a close eye and No putting all the eggs in one basket 🧺 lol 😂 

Edited by Alfstoria

I bought treasuries (in my IRA, no less) beginning of April that listed at 4.7% for three months when I put the order in.  Thought with the SVB problems they might come down a bit but by the time the order executed it rose to where I got 5.09% (5.18% compounded).  I think I read that since the bank issues may be in check, the Fed may be looking at another 1/4 rate hike.

21 hours ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

I bought treasuries (in my IRA, no less) beginning of April that listed at 4.7% for three months when I put the order in.  

This may be wise.

Why pay State/Local income tax if T Bills for various maturity dates are somewhat comparable (if not better) to CD rates?

Edited by Bucky

5.117 +0.016
5.19 -0.002
5.057 -0.002
4.784 +0.023
4.179 +0.009
3.884 +0.008
3.661 +0.021
3.614 +0.02
3.568 +0.023

The above are the closing Treasury rates for Friday, April 21, 2023.  The bond market is expecting lower inflation/recession and hence the inverted yield curve with long rates lower than the short-term rates. 

Edited by augustus

Every Tuesday Citibank updates their CD rates. I’m not sure how long the 9 month CD will remain @ 4.75% but that’s currently their best rate. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.

In the meantime, instead of wondering if the rates will go up or down, I bought a 3 month Treasury Bill @ 5.01%. Maturity date 8/3/23. 

On 5/1/2023 at 12:49 PM, Cooper said:

In the meantime, instead of wondering if the rates will go up or down, I bought a 3 month Treasury Bill @ 5.01%. Maturity date 8/3/23. 

As a New Yorker that T-bill rate is actually equivalent to about a 5.30% - 5.40% yield from a bank CD.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, TonyDown said:

My credit union best CD rate just dropped from 4.5 to 3.5%. Surprised me.

But doesn't matter, I just locked in 4.75% at Citibank.  The concierge banker at the local branch was a young hot latino dude which was a bonus.  More importantly he was extremely helpful, professional and polite.

That stinks! My credit union still showing the same rates that have been in effect for a couple months now:

4.75% APY* for 12 months

5.25% APY* for 24 months

16 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

That stinks! My credit union still showing the same rates that have been in effect for a couple months now:

4.75% APY* for 12 months

5.25% APY* for 24 months

I got a special 5.10% rate at my credit union 3 months ago, for new money.  Was hoping they would come back with another special, but no.

Your 5.25% at 24 months looks nice.

1 minute ago, TonyDown said:

I got a special 5.10% rate at my credit union 3 months ago, for new money.  Was hoping they would come back with another special, but no.

Your 5.25% at 24 months looks nice.

I was thinking about doing a 24 month CD. My credit union has that same disclaimer about new money. I have my credit union account linked to an online high interest savings account. I keep most of my money in my high interest account and shift it to my credit union when I need to take physical cash out. So if I wanna open a CD I can't transfer money into my credit union? Am I gonna have to request a check to be mailed to me from my online account basically?