Holiday Options - Beach Villa vs Chartered Yacht

BtmBearDad

Gents, 

Thanks to covid, myself and a few mates missed out on commemorating some milestone birthdays. We’ve been talking about needing to “make up for it”, and have tossed around some ideas. 

We’re in agreement we want an overseas holiday, and considering everything from covid, we don’t mind splashing out. There would be 10-12 of us, all gay men between 44 and 62 - some coupled up, some single. Right now we’re thinking either renting a staffed beach villa on the Catalan Coast in Spain or a chartered yacht thru The Cyclades.  

I thought I’d post here for any feedback from those who have done either/both - pros, cons, and the like. As we’re not married to either idea or destination, tho we’re all beach lovers, so a beach is desired wherever we wind up, if you have an alternative you’d recommend, do let me know. Languages aren’t much of a barrier - we’ve polyglots in the group that speak Spanish, Italian, French, Greek, German, and Arabic. 

Thanks! 
BBD 

You didn’t say when you hoped to do this @BtmBearDad. I guess you’re not planning to go this month, which is ‘prime time’ for Catalan family vacations and for families sailing around the Greek islands. 

For me, it’s a villa by the beach every time. We have taken vacations along the coast, north of Girona, several times. It’s the Costa Brava and it’s considered quite a posh area. The Catalan haute-bourgeoisie vacation there. It’s not ‘blingy’ and there are several beautiful villages inland. There are some surprisingly good restaurants in the area too.

And of course, there is Sitges to the south of the airport and Barcelona. It’s an area of more international tourism (and Catalans consider it not as good as the Costa Brava) but very popular. There are many restaurants etc and it’s easy to reach the city if you wish. 

Also we have done 3 yachting holidays around the Greek islands. My partner’s family are keen sailors (we charter a boat with a professional skipper and a good cook) but I’m not so enthusiastic. To my mind, your group is a lot of people on a boat. Have you looked seriously into what private space there will be, how cabin sizes vary etc? And who will do the accounting to split all the many costs?

Thanks for your reply, @MscleLovr

When we started discussing the idea in April, just looking into either, nothing was available that would suit us. We’re looking at June or September 2023 - but we know we have to figure which one, and book it this month before what we want, and the dates we want, are gone. 

Costa Brava is beautiful, my concern would be accessibility to towns - as there will be 10-12 of us, that’s 3 cars to rent to get around, unless the villa comes with a Merc Sprinter type van, and driver to ferry us around. For that reason alone, Sitges on the Costa Garraf may best suit us - walk to town. 

I think the yacht sounds great, but may not be great in reality. These would be fully crewed motor yachts, not sailing yachts, and what we’ve seen are roomy enough, but at the end of the day, it’s still 24/7 with the same 10-12 gents, hoping from island to island each day. Maybe if we had a “home base” on one of the islands and only took excursions a few days to some others, that would work 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m kind of leaning towards the villa - even with daily staff to cook, clean, even drive, it works out to be more economical - even with all the luxury bells and whistles - than the yacht trip. Plus, there’s more space - indoors, and out - for anyone to do their own thing if they want - go to the beach, lounge by the pool, wander into town, etc. - vs on the yacht you’re always together. 

You might want to look into Ibiza. Years ago I spent a week there with my then lover and I think 4 others. We rented a villa, two small cars (I wanted to come and go with my guy as I pleased). The old town, which was easily accessible to our villa, was lovely with great dancing clubs and restaurants. The beaches were beautiful. The weather was great. Can't remember the month but not July, Aug. I think June.

I agree with MscleLovr, your group is probably too large for a boat. You would need a very large yacht which would likely be prohibitively expensive.

You might want to consider Puerto Vallarta. From about anywhere in the U.S. the flight time there is five (5) hours or less. For example, from L.A. it is all of three hours. There are numerous villas of all sizes, locations that come staffed or un-staffed available at reasonable rates. One can choose between being in the hills overlooking Banderas Bay or on the bay itself in places like Conchas Chinas. It would be best to be located near Old Town (Zona Romantica) because that is where the best restaurants and bars are located. It is also where the gay action is. Where- ever you decide to go you might want to start looking for a villa on vrbo. I have used the site many times and have always been happy with the results. In fact, I have already reserved an apartment in Rome for the fall of 2023. If you are interested in Puerto Vallarta feel free to PM mefor more information and/or suggestions.

@Luv2play Ibiza was put up as option, most of us have been there during our salad days of youth, and had fantastic times, but we wondered if we’re a bit past it now 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

@Epigonos one of the group actually has a place in PV, we’ve all been thru the years, and had great times. But we’re all wanting a European trip. This way whoever wants can extend their time to visit family, go hit another city/country. 

@spider agreed on privacy! Two of the group already registered their concern about getting “all over tans” on a yacht 😂 A villa is definitely more conducive for that activity. 

Thank you gents for your replies and suggestions!! 👍🏻

BBD 

56 minutes ago, Epigonos said:

I agree with MscleLovr, your group is probably too large for a boat. You would need a very large yacht which would likely be prohibitively expensive.

You might want to consider Puerto Vallarta. From about anywhere in the U.S. the flight time there is five (5) hours or less. For example, from L.A. it is all of three hours. There are numerous villas of all sizes, locations that come staffed or un-staffed available at reasonable rates. One can choose between being in the hills overlooking Banderas Bay or on the bay itself in places like Conchas Chinas. It would be best to be located near Old Town (Zona Romantica) because that is where the best restaurants and bars are located. It is also where the gay action is. Where- ever you decide to go you might want to start looking for a villa on vrbo. I have used the site many times and have always been happy with the results. In fact, I have already reserved an apartment in Rome for the fall of 2023. If you are interested in Puerto Vallarta feel free to PM mefor more information and/or suggestions.

I agree about the yacht. $1million for a fully staffed boat that could accomodate 12 in comfort in a. salubrious place moving from port to port in high season doesn't come cheap.

14 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I agree about the yacht. $1million for a fully staffed boat that could accomodate 12 in comfort in a. salubrious place moving from port to port in high season doesn't come cheap.

Agreed, the yacht would definitely involve splashing out pretty large. The one that another inquired about with the agent (7 nights, slept 14, crew of 22) would work out the same per person as the entire cost of a villa for 10 days. So that’s a consideration. 

Villa all the way. 

I hate boats, and groups on boats are the worst of the worst.

It takes a very special group, with each and every individual
madly in love with boating life, to make it work. 

If you held a gun to my head and made me go, I’ve pick a 
cruise along the Southwestern Turkish coast on a Gulet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulet