Do any of you live where it's difficult to find gay-accepting doctors?

14 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I remember when I was in my 20s and I was first experimenting with gay sex, I had some medical problem that took me to the walk in clinic at the nearby hospital.

I mentioned to the doctor that I had been engaging in penetrative sex with gay men as a bottom. His response was to tell me I was breaking the "natural law and angering God". That's why I was sick.

I reported him to the administration as being unprofessional and they simply assigned me to another doctor.

Although I found this medieval attitude counterproductive, I can't say that I've ever assumed it would happen again and it hasn't.

In 2020 I rather assumed the medical profession had modernized to a point where personal opinions on homosexuals don't affect a professional medical opinion. Sad to think that wouldn't be true, unless we are taking Arkansas or Mississippi.

It just isn't even an issue for me, but of course, it's hard to find a city as gay-friendly as SF.  Health care providers here are so friendly and caring it wouldn't feel right to withhold from them.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:18 AM, pubic_assistance said:

...I mentioned to the doctor that I had been engaging in penetrative sex with gay men as a bottom. His response was to tell me I was breaking the "natural law and angering God". That's why I was sick.

I reported him to the administration as being unprofessional and they simply assigned me to another doctor...

There may have been repercussions for the doctor which weren't shared with you. That being said, if you want feedback on consequences, one can consider reporting the behavior to the state medical board. Stating that an illness is due to angering God is truly unprofessional behavior. The medical board would probably investigate and issue counseling and a public letter of reprimand for the physician, which stays on public record permanently. If the medical board committee were especially pissed off, they could even require the physician take a course on medical professionalism as a condition for keeping his license. 

Edited by Unicorn

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

There may have been repercussions for the doctor which weren't shared with you.

Absolutely. He passed through my life for 20 minutes once. I have no idea what became of the issue.

My attitude was that it's the hospitals problem, but my responsibility to other patients to make them aware of it.

Although I live in-between worlds, as a bisexual man, and probably don't suffer as much prejudice as men who have always identified as homosexual, when it comes to my doctor, I do need to have the trust of full disclosure because I am sexually active with gay and bisexual men.

I've never once had an issue since that moment.  But I haven't lived in any small towns since I was a teenager.  From Syracuse NY, it was off to Los Angeles, then Pittsburgh and then on to New York, where I remain.