Composition/editing features when posting

newatthis

I can no longer find a couple of very useful features for composing posts to the forums:

1. the "preview post" option that allowed me to see what my text would look like once it was posted
  2. the ability to link a piece of text to something else (in my case, most often to another post in the forums); i.e. to create a hyperlink

Do these features still exist?  I can't find them in the editing bar at the top of the text box nor has a search yielded any results.  Help!  and thanks!

54 minutes ago, poolboy48220 said:

I've noticed the hyperlink is missing too, but pasting the link in your text without using that button has always worked for me.

I realize I can do that, but the stylist in me thinks it makes for a neater post if you can select text and then make it into a hyperlink (e.g.  "as so-and-so explained in this post...") where the blue words would be a hyperlink to the post in question.  Perhaps @RadioRob can provide further elucidation to my original pair of queries.

I've participated in two Invision-based sites for a number of years and one thing I've learned is that the site Admin has a lot of control over the user editing panel.  A couple months ago, I asked what happened to the center-alignment button and @RadioRob , who had removed it, kindly put it back in.

I guess over the years we find our useful editing tools and then someone comes along and wonders who would ever need such a tool and -poof - it's gone. 💨

The happy times for me were a couple years ago when the other Invision board I infest allowed HTML commands.  Even the little I knew would usually get things in my post looking and acting the way I wanted them to.  Not sure if this board had them briefly after the conversion, or possibly has them right now in plain sight and I just haven't seen them.  🧐 

I like the blue-text-as-hyperlink function too, and hope it comes back.  

5 minutes ago, Lookin said:

I've participated in two Invision-based sites for a number of years and one thing I've learned is that the site Admin has a lot of control over the user editing panel.  A couple months ago, I asked what happened to the center-alignment button and @RadioRob , who had removed it, kindly put it back in.

I guess over the years we find our useful editing tools and then someone comes along and wonders who would ever need such a tool and -poof - it's gone. 💨

The happy times for me were a couple years ago when the other Invision board I infest allowed HTML commands.  Even the little I knew would usually get things in my post looking and acting the way I wanted them to.  Not sure if this board had them briefly after the conversion, or possibly has them right now in plain sight and I just haven't seen them.  🧐 

I like the blue-text-as-hyperlink function too, and hope it comes back.  

Oh, I don't know.  I've been asking for enforced Haiku for years now to no avail.

Kevin Slater

On 7/18/2022 at 11:24 AM, newatthis said:

I can no longer find a couple of very useful features for composing posts to the forums:

1. the "preview post" option that allowed me to see what my text would look like once it was posted
  2. the ability to link a piece of text to something else (in my case, most often to another post in the forums); i.e. to create a hyperlink

Do these features still exist?  I can't find them in the editing bar at the top of the text box nor has a search yielded any results.  Help!  and thanks!

Link has always existed.  It looks like a chain.  For example, on desktops the editor looks like:

image.jpeg

On phones it looks like:

image.jpeg

(See the chain 3rd to the right?)

I removed the preview icon to make room for the Center icon as noted above.  At the end of the day...  I only have so much space to work with to fill with buttons.  If I put too many buttons in, it will wrap to a second line wasting a bunch of space.  I added the preview button back.  We'll see if this iteration works for folks.  

On 7/23/2022 at 9:29 PM, Lookin said:

HTML is enabled on this site, but only for staff groups.  (This is how moderators turn embedded images back to links if someone posts something that breaks a community guideline such as posting an errection in a publicly accessible forum.)

Enabling HTML is a potential security risk as someone with malicious intention could post content that is dangerous or that could crash a browser.  As a result, I've limited what groups can use it.