Old cellphones

Charlie

What does one do with old non-smart phones? I just discovered that I have four such phones from the period before I finally gave in and got an iPhone. They are all still in their original packaging (I know: I'm obsessive about saving that kind of thing). Do they have any value or use? How do I get rid of them responsibly?

Depending on the device, it might just need to be submitted to an electronics recycling program.  For example they may not be capable to connecting to the current wireless bands (for example 3G is totally gone in most cases).

If they can still be used, there are some charitable organizations that might be able to make use of them such as for seniors that might not be comfortable with newer technology or veterans groups. 

Finally check to see if any are collectors items. Some devices even though not usable if they are in great condition MAY have value like old stamps to certain collectors. 

5 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

I say give 'em to the folk on the street talking to themselves, so perhaps they won't look so crazy.

Kevin Slater

I hardly ever see anyone really talking to himself--when I look closer, they are usually hooked up to something.

10 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I take my old phones to Target. They have a bin at the front of the store to drop them in.

Thanks. I'll stop by Target to see if they something like that here.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:18 PM, Charlie said:

What does one do with old non-smart phones? I just discovered that I have four such phones from the period before I finally gave in and got an iPhone. They are all still in their original packaging (I know: I'm obsessive about saving that kind of thing). Do they have any value or use? How do I get rid of them responsibly?

I learned long ago the best practice is to trade my old phone for a new phone.  Once, I kept my old phone as a backup.  Technology changes so fast that the old phone quickly becomes slow and unresponsive.  If you wait too long the value of old phone diminishes and your choice is recycling.  We have a number of electronic recycling companies that accept all sort of electronic equipment for items that don't have a resale value.

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2022 at 2:18 PM, Charlie said:

Old cellphones

On 6/10/2022 at 3:53 PM, Lucky said:

A little off-topic, but I am wondering if I can buy a nonsmart phone for someone who just needs the basics.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:58 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

I take my old phones to Target. They have a bin at the front of the store to drop them in.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:31 AM, Kevin Slater said:

I say give 'em to the folk on the street talking to themselves, so perhaps they won't look so crazy.

My favorite drunken bar song:  OLD CELLPHONES NEVER DIE... THEY JUST FADE AWAY.