Any of you follow the Johnny Depp trial?

Unless I have a very good reason to believe otherwise, I usually would say that a jury, who listened to all of the evidence, probably got it right. It seemed heartening to hear that actual evidence matters, and it's not just man always wrong, woman always right. I didn't follow the trial closely, though. 

I didn't follow the case at all but found it interesting in the reporting yesterday of the result that the judge in England found differently than the jury on Virginia. But then the English don't put up with the media circus that some American courts, including in this case, do.  The OJ Simpson case just being the most extreme example of perverted justice. It seems Depp had the gallery firmly on his side. So Heard had little chance or so it seems.

Edited by Luv2play

On 6/2/2022 at 12:05 AM, Luv2play said:

I didn't follow the case at all but found it interesting in the reporting yesterday of the result that the judge in England found differently than the jury on Virginia. But then the English don't put up with the media circus that some American courts, including in this case, do.  The OJ Simpson case just being the most extreme example of perverted justice. It seems Depp had the gallery firmly on his side. So Heard had little chance or so it seems.

Well, the laws in England are probably different from those in Virginia (specifically related to standards, I'd guess). Did you actually follow the trial, and think the evidence was not on Depp's side, or are you just guessing? I admit I didn't follow the trial, but I've heard that Depp had the more solid evidence. 

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Well, the laws in England are probably different from those in Virginia (specifically related to standards, I'd guess). Did you actually follow the trial, and think the evidence was not on Depp's side, or are you just guessing? I admit I didn't follow the trial, but I've heard that Depp had the more solid evidence. 

As I said in the first sentence of my post, I didn't follow the trial. So I don't know why you had to ask the question. 

As to the evidence, I understand there was abuse on both sides. A messy marriage it appears. Given their position and wealth, the case was carried out as a libel action. People of a lower status would have faced criminal assault charges. 

4 hours ago, Luv2play said:

As I said in the first sentence of my post, I didn't follow the trial. So I don't know why you had to ask the question. 

Well, if you're ignorant on what evidence was presented on either side, I'm not sure why you posted "Heard had little chance" due to their respective positions and wealth, as you said. You don't think a jury can actually weigh the evidence? Unless I'm actually following a case, it's not up to me to berate a jury for making an inappropriate decision. 

• 2 weeks later...