Where to stay in Montreal?

12is12

On 6/4/2022 at 2:51 AM, 12is12 said:

Thx, but I'm still stuck with my question - where to stay.

MCBG wrote that "the village is only a short walk from downtown and old mntrl". According to gglmps it's 30 mnts; that is, if Stock is still licated at Catherine and & Montcalm....

I wasn't aware hotel rates were so high.   )-:

I agree the village is not a short walk to downtown, more like a 10 minute cab ride. In Montreal right now and one thing to consider is that is a safe place to visit. Crime seems to be very low and thank God, no mass shootings. Of course its had a few in the past but I can only recall one that happened over 30 years ago and led to tightened gun restrictions.  And more are coming.

I tend to stay with major brand hotels since I have status with IHG, Marriott, and Hilton.  For years, my go to was the Candlewood Suites on Rene Levesque based on price, average condition (needs updating), walking distance to the clubs (1 mile), ability to have guests, and on the 15/358 bus line (bad weather, did not want to walk). However, it is now changed to the St Laurent Hotel so no longer an IHG hotel. 

If you most be in the village, and want a major brand, the Fairfield on Berri is fine (rooms are on the small side, but nice), or the new Hyatt (formerly Gouverneur) opening in July (although opening has been pushed back 4 times already). 

A good compromise is the various hotels on Rene Levesque near St. Laurent (Courtyard, Holiday Inn, Hotel0, AC Hotel).  They are near Old Town, about 1 mile walk to the village, on the 15/358 bus line (15 to the village , 358 back late night ), close to the metro, and more.  If you are ok with buses, download the STM app so you can find buses near you. 

I cannot comment on the airbnb or non major brand hotels in the area; but I thinking about trying them soon.  

1 hour ago, 12is12 said:

Thank you, one and all.

How about staying in the old town, and taking the metro from Place d'Armes to the village and back?

Is that doable, safe, convenient? Late at night?

The metro doesn't run after 1am I think

Edited by mcbg22

1 hour ago, 12is12 said:

Thank you, one and all.

How about staying in the old town, and taking the metro from Place d'Armes to the village and back?

Is that doable, safe, convenient? Late at night?

I've never stayed in the old town but wandering around in the daytime I think there are mostly boutique hotels like M. The area does have some nice restaurants and lots of tourists day and night during the season.

If your focus is the village for evening activities I wouldn't stay in the old town. Just my opinion.

For many years I stayed in top-level downtown hotels, getting excellent rates by bidding on priceline.  I liked the ambiance and it was a very short hop on the metro to the Village.  If I stayed out too late, taxis were relatively cheap if I didn't feel like walking.

More recently I've been staying in airbnb's, mostly in the Village. Hotels have become quite expensive and I get more, and more attractive, space in an airbnb.  I find that the metro works both ways and I can easily get out of the Village to the other parts of the city that I love.  

Bottom line, as already posted multiple times, is that public transportation is quick and efficient and will get you where you want to go with minimum fuss.

7 hours ago, twinkboylover28 said:

These two AirBnb listings are some of my favorites, but you usually have to book far in advance as there is high demand for them due to great location and price:

AirBnb 1

and

AirBnb 2

You haven't been to Montreal in years and before COVID, you kept posting about how much you hated it. I don't see why you keep posting in these threads. 

On 6/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, Luv2play said:

Its small so privacy would be my concern about taking visitors back to my room.  

This is Montreal we're talking about, nobody gives a s*** who comes to your room or how much you paid them. I actually like that it's small for this reason, all stairs access, no making small talk in front of strangers while you wait for an elevator. 

The omni sounds nice, good to hear you're enjoying the trip. 

Just got back from Montreal. I had a blast. Or at least it was better than I expected. 
I will post a short report later in the week. 

For now:

St Andre hotel is closed, but there is hope, I saw a lot of construction workers around and the sign hasn’t been  discarded. St Andre hotel definitely is my go to place. ( since I mostly hang out in the stripper bars )and it is easier to go downtown the few times I venture there. 

I was able to reserve a room at Hotel St Dennis. I wanted to rent from Tuesday to Thursday, but every time I tried, it was sold out, so I tried a few different combinations.
So Thursday to Thursday was open so booked it and, at the same time, I booked Tuesday and Wednesday on a different laptop. It was easier than it appears... but I had a Memorial weekend coming up, and I wanted  to visit Montreal before it gets too hot or too crowded. 

Both, St  Andree/Dennis, are defi modest hotels and no pricey, clean and so close to my main hangouts 

After visiting Montreal several times and using different starts hotels I prioritize location and cleanings  The New Hyatt hasnt opened yet.

I am not kidding myself, I go for the dancers  so something close to the strippers is my place to stay. 

Campus had some beautiful boys. Or at least my taste if you are into a young Ryan Gosling. 
I went to Exposé, Stock, and Taboo. All great. Well, maybe Stock is not as crowded or have as many dancers  as Campus, but I was able to met with old faves of mine and it was fun. 

I am wondering if the Malik effect is helping Campus to get fresh guys. Btw, Malik was there and he was as sweet as always.  He is  huge! Even bigger than before. But nonetheless, a sweet boy and nice boy  . He was surrounded of fans but he still wi pay you attention and not attitude if you ask for a dance .

cant wait to comeback. I already booked for Fall. 

the testing to enter USA was a pain in the neck. So hard to find. But it was worth since now I am in in love with 4 new boys :) 

Edited by Alfstoria
Typos

53 minutes ago, Pat70 said:

Thanks for sharing! Which of these 4 places has the most femboys/twinks/effeminate boys?

Expose (has more dancers after 8pm but more mixed crowd)  and Taboo  (less dancers but crowd mostly/ males)

I went everyday 😀 to the 4 of them  

Is a bit of a pain to jump Campus/Stock to Expose/Taboo

There are a lot of constructions and street closed I usually take an uber bowen those clusters but this tome was easier walking  

Edited by Alfstoria

30 minutes ago, mcbg22 said:

I'll be in Montreal this weekend. Looking forward to spending time at Campus and Stock!

Awesome, you will have a lot of fun, the weather should be better, we had so.e drizzling and  i needed a light jacket  

If you like jock types, Campus is having nice selection

If you are coming back to the states, start looking for a C19 testing place as soon as you arrive, I had to go to extreme to find a place and some of them are so hidden no sign, no indications 

Edited by Alfstoria

12is12:  I use canadahomedoctors.ca .   They have several locations, the closest to hotels/village is on Stanley 1/2 block from Rene Levesque (it is up 2 flights of stairs if that is an issue).  It is $69 Canadian and you get the results via email in 10-30 min.  They are open 7 days a week, you can make an appointment or walk in.  Worst case, if you forget, you can get a test at the airport, but it is expensive ($150-$200 I have heard). 

11 hours ago, john4112nola said:

12is12:  I use canadahomedoctors.ca .   They have several locations, the closest to hotels/village is on Stanley 1/2 block from Rene Levesque (it is up 2 flights of stairs if that is an issue).  It is $69 Canadian and you get the results via email in 10-30 min.  They are open 7 days a week, you can make an appointment or walk in.  Worst case, if you forget, you can get a test at the airport, but it is expensive ($150-$200 I have heard). 

If you are flying Air Canada you can make your appt in advance through them.  They have a discount code for homedoctors (AC30) that reduces the cost to CAD$39.  It's quite possible the code will work even if you're not going through the AC web site.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, mcbg22 said:

You haven't been to Montreal in years and before COVID, you kept posting about how much you hated it. I don't see why you keep posting in these threads. 

Good Lord! If this triggers this response in you, regarding my good faith postings on this message board, then you're seriously more miserable than I thought. I hope you enjoy my AirBnB suggestions! Your ignorance and disdain for free speech is breathtakingly palpable. 

I don't see why YOU keep posting in these threads.

On 6/4/2022 at 2:51 AM, 12is12 said:

Thx, but I'm still stuck with my question - where to stay.

MCBG wrote that "the village is only a short walk from downtown and old mntrl". According to gglmps it's 30 mnts; that is, if Stock is still licated at Catherine and & Montcalm....

I wasn't aware hotel rates were so high.   )-:

You lost me at "MCBG wrote..."

The guy doesn't even know it's a 30-minute walk each direction from the Village to downtown.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:08 PM, Luv2play said:

I agree the village is not a short walk to downtown, more like a 10 minute cab ride. In Montreal right now and one thing to consider is that is a safe place to visit. Crime seems to be very low and thank God, no mass shootings. Of course its had a few in the past but I can only recall one that happened over 30 years ago and led to tightened gun restrictions.  And more are coming.

I agree the Village is not a short walk to downtown.