Where to stay in Montreal?

12is12

Hi Guys,

While the village clubs are for nightlife, it seems there's no sightseeing to do there at daytime.

Which area would be best for hotels?

Does uber work late at night to-and-fro the village?

Thx  (-:

5 minutes ago, 12is12 said:

Hi Guys,

While the village clubs are for nightlife, it seems there's no sightseeing to do there at daytime.

Which area would be best for hotels?

Does uber work late at night to-and-fro the village?

Thx  (-:

do you like bath house/saunas? i have lots of daytime fun doing that there especially when its cold outside haha

and i once stayed in naked guest house near gay area - but sorry cannot remember name bit it was fun because i could work out naked 

The new Hyatt Place (former Gouverneur) looks great. Right on top of the metro station and many stores. I stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott last year which was newly renovated. I can also recommend the bed and breakfast du village. Owners are super friendly. 

I checked the rates for the new Hyatt in the Village yesterday and the rooms start at over $400 per night. With taxes etc you would be looking at $500 and more if parking is included. Pretty pricey although the pics look nice. In its former incarnation as le Gouveneur, rooms could be had for well under $300.

I usually stay in the Golden Square Mile area such as the Omni Mont-royal hotel. It's a safe upscale area with The Village just a five minute metro ride away.

If you have the money the new Hyatt in Le Village looks great; however, with any new or recently renovated property your shower pressure will surely be affected (even if you bring your own shower head) compared to hotels built prior to 1992 (if this matters to you).

Recently I've been booking AirBnB and finding very nice places all to myself for half the price of hotels.

The properties I liked on AirBnB were former Embassy Suites hotel rooms converted into apartment condos that people have listing on AirBnB. They are in a prime location and within walking distance to Le Village and the metro, which will take you everywhere.

Edited by twinkboylover28

I'm going off subject here, bcs of 28. 

"Bring ur own shower head"? I've been to literally hundreds of hotels in almost 70 countries, and have never heard of such an idea...

Should I undrstnd that this is a familiar prblm in mntrl? Why is it prevalent in newer buildings?  And how does a dfrnt shower head help? Isn't the pressure a function of the basic system rather then the point of exit?

PS - I don't want to spend 450 per night.   )-:

Congrats Luv2Pplay. Excellent choice; however, I didn't realize prices had gone way up. I normally book OMNI on Booking. com

I've stayed at the OMNI several times beginning in 2007. Their corner rooms offer nice views and their bathrooms/tubs are huge. I even have a list of my fave room numbers and email the manager before my visit. 

12is12...I would just disregard what I wrote regarding shower pressure in hotels as most people aren't sensitive or OCD like me to be affected.

If you're not the type of world traveler to bring your own shower head (and wrench) while you travel then you will be just fine.

In 1992 laws were passed to restrict GPM (gallons per minute) of water via water savers in showerheads. Lawmakers got wise to the fact people would bring their own shower head or remove the water restrictor, so they started using water saving shower valves in new construction so it didn't matter if people brought their own showerhead to bypass the low flow.

3 hours ago, twinkboylover28 said:

Congrats Luv2Pplay. Excellent choice; however, I didn't realize prices had gone way up. I normally book OMNI on Booking. com

I've stayed at the OMNI several times beginning in 2007. Their corner rooms offer nice views and their bathrooms/tubs are huge. I even have a list of my fave room numbers and email the manager before my visit. 

I didn't use Booking.com this time because their cancellation dates are less generous than direct booking with the hotel. 

Thx, but I'm still stuck with my question - where to stay.

MCBG wrote that "the village is only a short walk from downtown and old mntrl". According to gglmps it's 30 mnts; that is, if Stock is still licated at Catherine and & Montcalm....

I wasn't aware hotel rates were so high.   )-:

The Gov was always my 'go to' place to stay in Montreal too because of the location and the upgraded 'business' rooms on the upper floors were very nice for whatever 'business' you had in mind. 

The new Hyatt looks very nice but with prices north of $300 a night it's out of my range... in fact it's hard to find any decent hotel in Montreal that I would consider reasonably priced.

Sadly, Montreal may be pricing itself out of my travel plans like Key West did several years ago.  

On 5/30/2022 at 4:47 PM, 12is12 said:

I'm going off subject here, bcs of 28. 

"Bring ur own shower head"? I've been to literally hundreds of hotels in almost 70 countries, and have never heard of such an idea...

Should I undrstnd that this is a familiar prblm in mntrl? Why is it prevalent in newer buildings?  And how does a dfrnt shower head help? Isn't the pressure a function of the basic system rather then the point of exit?

PS - I don't want to spend 450 per night.   )-:

This looks like a nice AirBnB located in the Gay Village and is less than $450

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/51822407?check_in=2022-10-05&check_out=2022-10-09&guests=1&adults=2&s=67&unique_share_id=0f01bb8e-ebf1-4452-bc9f-5d219ee91680

23 hours ago, zzed said:

The Gov was always my 'go to' place to stay in Montreal too because of the location and the upgraded 'business' rooms on the upper floors were very nice for whatever 'business' you had in mind. 

The new Hyatt looks very nice but with prices north of $300 a night it's out of my range... in fact it's hard to find any decent hotel in Montreal that I would consider reasonably priced.

Sadly, Montreal may be pricing itself out of my travel plans like Key West did several years ago.  

If that 300 is CAD, about 238US, that's not too bad for these days. I find everything is UP across the board.

I would second the notion that transport by metro, uber/taxi, or bixi bike is affordable and accessible in montreal, so you might as well choose a hotel for the quality and price rather than proximity to any particular attraction. Personally, I'm a sucker for the european feel of the old city and love to base myself there. My personal recommendation is a suite at the chateau versailles: great location & building (classic stone exterior, modern interior), large suites for the price point, and a low-key, discreet vibe. 

I'm in Montreal right now enjoying beautiful weather and a couple of hot men during the evenings. As a Canadian the exchange rate is not a consideration. I'm stating at the Omni Mont Royal which is in a very beautiful part of downtown Montreal. With taxes and all it will be about $400 a night plus valet parking another $120 for 3 nights.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. The rooms are nice and have 2 double beds, one for sleeping and the other, well guess. It has an outdoor pool and attached Jacuzzi which my friend and I enjoyed yesterday before moving on to indoor pursuits.

Its got a nice cocktail lounge off the lobby where I will be entertaining this evening before going upstairs to my playroom.

The restaurants around the hotel are very good and great variety to choose from, all within a 10 minutes walk. Another trip without dropping in at the Village. I wasn't attracted to the stripper bars because of the latest problem with Monkeypox.

Oh and the city is doing a great job on cleaning the streets. Work crews visible everywhere doing a superlative job. These are the little things that make a visit so pleasant. Of course the eye candy on the streets everywhere and in the bars and restaurants never fails to stimulate the senses.

17 hours ago, Dante said:

I would second the notion that transport by metro, uber/taxi, or bixi bike is affordable and accessible in montreal, so you might as well choose a hotel for the quality and price rather than proximity to any particular attraction. Personally, I'm a sucker for the european feel of the old city and love to base myself there. My personal recommendation is a suite at the chateau versailles: great location & building (classic stone exterior, modern interior), large suites for the price point, and a low-key, discreet vibe. 

I walked by the Chateau Versailles this morning on my little walk after breakfast. It looks good and I did stay there 40 years ago once. Its small so privacy would be my concern about taking visitors back to my room.  Also its not near the old town which would be a 40 minute walk or more down and uphill on the way back.