Matisse The Red Studio at MOMA

foxy
This topic is 735 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• foxy changed the title to Matisse The Red Studio at MOMA
  • 2 weeks later...

In my view this is one of the points of inflection when childish images started to muscle aside serious work by competent artists. The 20th century produced an avalanche of such images by painters trying to convince the public that they should be taken seriously.

Of course there were many takers but that is hardly a reason to think they were right. 

In this case I understand Matisse inserted images of items in his studio in a pastiche that is quite ugly. Just my humble opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not condeming all 20th century art. A lot of it I am deeply moved by. Maybe its just some particular artists whose work I find to be puerile, like Basquiat. A lot of Warhol I like.most abstract painters I appreciate as well if they have a handle on composition in particular.

I was classically trained as an artist from an early age but didn't pursue it as a career.

Edited by Luv2play