Has Anyone Tried Shirataki Rice / Noodles?

MysticMenace

I've been on a low-carb kick lately (more like the past 2 weeks), lol. Since I'm Asian and all, I feel like I need a rice substitute, and am still trying to love cauliflower rice (gurl, am trying). But have you all heard of this "miracle rice" which is really not rice - pretty much negligible carbs and low-cal. Apparently it stinks though once you take it out of the packet. Anybody tried it? Would you recommend?

While simple carbs should be avoided, no reason to eschew complex carbs (for example, whole grain rice or pasta--assuming you don't have celiac disease).

image.png.cce8de4f2ee677831ae3a78534be20b5.png

You can even get penis pasta!

image.thumb.png.aac1af3ddc554e9ca4373660c6a921b0.png

I use the noodles occasionally. You need to rinse them thoroughly in cold water, then heat them in a dry pan to drive off excess moisture. They have an…acquired texture, lol. I like them in strongly flavored sauces (sugar, soy, chili, etc) but for plain old tomato pasta sauce, I’d stick with zucchini noodles too.

Tried the shirataki noodles once - not inedible but no flavor and completely unsatisfying.  There just is no substitute for learning moderation - it allows you to eat anything you want - in moderation.  I would much rather eat a reasonable serving of pasta than a huge plate of calorie-free shirataki noodles. 

Eating shirataki noodles made me think of those potato chips from the 90s that were cooked in a non-nutritive synthetic oil that, effectively, had no calories.  They tasted almost exactly like real potato chips, but they were completely unsatisfying.  They only lasted a short time in the marketplace.

On 4/10/2022 at 1:43 PM, Rudynate said:

...Eating shirataki noodles made me think of those potato chips from the 90s that were cooked in a non-nutritive synthetic oil that, effectively, had no calories.  They tasted almost exactly like real potato chips, but they were completely unsatisfying.  They only lasted a short time in the marketplace.

Not to mention that the fat substitute which they used, olestra, could (if you ate too much) give you diarrhea. Potato chips are made of mostly simple carbs, so most people who are concerned with eating healthful foods wouldn't eat them anyway. Eating baked chips at least takes care of the saturated fat problem. The most healthful foods to eat are baked multigrain chips...

Good Natured Selects Baked Multigrain Crisps Tuscan Garden Medley | Snacks,  Chips & Dips | Market Basket

H-E-B-Sea-Salt-Baked-Multigrain-Chips.jpeg - The Impulsive Buy

Multigrain

LATE JULY Snacks Multigrain Tortilla Chips Sea Salt by the Seashore , 16  oz. Bag - Walmart.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, JoeMendoza said:

I've been on a low-carb kick lately (more like the past 2 weeks), lol. Since I'm Asian and all, I feel like I need a rice substitute, and am still trying to love cauliflower rice (gurl, am trying). 

I eat mainly brown rice instead of white rice which is a little healthier. You could always try doing half and half rice and cauliflower so it's not such a sudden change. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, JoeMendoza said:

I've been on a low-carb kick lately (more like the past 2 weeks), lol. Since I'm Asian and all, I feel like I need a rice substitute, and am still trying to love cauliflower rice (gurl, am trying). But have you all heard of this "miracle rice" which is really not rice - pretty much negligible carbs and low-cal. Apparently it stinks though once you take it out of the packet. Anybody tried it? Would you recommend?

If you haven't tried Liviva brand yet, I'd highly recco.  Edamame and soy I believe are the lowest net carbs aside from the konjak 👍

https://houseofwellness.ca/collections/vendors?q=Liviva