Crystal Symphony on the lam!

BSR
This topic is 829 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Because Genting, the parent company of Crystal Cruises, racked up $4.5+ million in unpaid fuel bills, a US court ordered one of their ships Crystal Symphony to be seized once it enters US waters.  Instead of returning to Miami as scheduled, the fugitive vessel docked in the Bahamas, where passengers had to take a ferry to Ft. Lauderdale.  Yikes, you often hear about a criminal fleeing to another country but never a cruise ship, until now.  The saddest part of the article is the heartbroken crew, who face unemployment and uncertain futures.

I'm actually surprised that more cruise lines and airlines haven't gone under.  Almost 2 years since the first lockdowns, and the travel industry still hasn't returned to normal, far from it.

Indeed unfair to the crew.

Otherwise, it’s fucking awesome and hilarious, and should be made into a caper comedy, which of course would include a mutiny that would turn it around for intercept by US ships to free the crew and hold the vessel hostage til bill gets paid and executives are walked off the gangplank… Murray Bartlett as the Cruise Director, of course. 😎

The pax were given overnight accommodations in the Bahamas and promptly chartered ferries to Port Lauderdale. They were definitely inconvenienced, but "taken hostage" is pretty over the top.  That would only be the case if the ship remained at sea while the cruise line dealt with the legal matters in court. They were no more inconvenienced than if the ship diverted for a weather event.

Crystal cruises is apparently not even directly responsible for the debt issue that lead to the seizure order, it's part of the overall financial meltdown of their parent company in HK. It sounds like the parent handled their fuel contracts and the court actions dealing with the default all developed a couple days before the scheduled return to Miami. 

Crystal's staff did manage to coordinate the hotels and ferries on short notice, which was probably made a little easier by the pandemic. They are also said to be making return arrangements for the crew and vendors who are unfortunately likely to be out of work.  It seems they are trying to take care of everyone as much as possible under the circumstances.

Edited by DynamicUno

8 hours ago, nycman said:

One wonder how they’re not being charged with kidnapping and taking their passengers hostage. 

I fucking hate lawyers and the courts, but drag me out to sea and dump my ass in the Bahamas?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Just look at the cruise's contract of carriage, which all pax signed onto when purchasing the ticket.

Most boats have a lot leeway, including changing ports at their discretion and extending (or reducing) the cruise in the event of an emergency.

I'd definitely call an international arrest warrant an 'emergency'  

Pax got a night in Bimini, shacking up at Resorts World.  I'm sure they didn't argue much.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:50 AM, DynamicUno said:

They were definitely inconvenienced, but "taken hostage" is pretty over the top.

I’m on a boat….. 
Being taken somewhere I don’t want to go…
Against my will….

Not for my safety.
Not because of war.
Not because of famine.
Not because of weather.
But because you’re trying to avoid facing the penalty
that a judge has ordered for a crime you’ve committed?

That’s a kidnapping/hostage situation in my book. 

Edited by nycman

58 minutes ago, nycman said:

I’m on a boat….. 
Being taken somewhere I don’t want to go…
Against my will….

Not for my safety.
Not because of war.
Not because of famine.
Not because of weather. 

That’s a kidnapping/hostage situation in my book. 

You will be hard pressed
To find a prosecutor
Who would file that charge.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see any way US or state laws regarding kidnapping or hostage taking would apply in this case.  The ship was in international waters when it diverted, the ship did not delay arrival to the diversion port, and once at that port the passengers were free to make their own travel arrangments or use the cruise lines offer to lodge and transport.  A federal prosecutor might be able to make the stretch to call the diversion an abduction, but I think it would not get far as long as the ship was not in US waters and the cruise line has substantial contract rights to change itnerary.

International treaties against hostage taking would not apply because the passengers were not being held and threatened in an effort to coerce a thrid party. 

The only possible criminal charges or contempt action I could imagine being filed would relate to the company deliberately keeping an asset out of the country to avoid a court order.

As far as civil damages are concerned, as noted before the cruise line's contract of carriage gives them considerable coverage to allow any change in the itinerary. I believe the odds of winning even nominal damages in a civil case would be pretty slim.

9. Itinerary/Right To Change/Detention:

Crystal Cruises reserves the right at its sole option and discretion and that of the Captain of the Ship without liability for damages or refund of any kind, to deviate from the Ship’s advertised or ordinary itinerary or route, to delay, advance or cancel any sailing, to omit or change ports of call, to arrange for substantially equivalent transportation by another vessel and/or by other means of transportation, to cause the Guest to disembark from the Ship temporarily or permanently, to tow or to be towed or assist other vessels or to perform any similar act which, in its sole judgment and discretion, is justified for any reason.  [further unrelated clauses omitted]

39 minutes ago, DynamicUno said:

You will be hard pressed
To find a prosecutor
Who would file that charge.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see any way US or state laws regarding kidnapping or hostage taking would apply in this case.  The ship was in international waters when it diverted, the ship did not delay arrival to the diversion port, and once at that port the passengers were free to make their own travel arrangments or use the cruise lines offer to lodge and transport.  A federal prosecutor might be able to make the stretch to call the diversion an abduction, but I think it would not get far as long as the ship was not in US waters and the cruise line has substantial contract rights to change itnerary.

International treaties against hostage taking would not apply because the passengers were not being held and threatened in an effort to coerce a thrid party. 

The only possible criminal charges or contempt action I could imagine being filed would relate to the company deliberately keeping an asset out of the country to avoid a court order.

As far as civil damages are concerned, as noted before the cruise line's contract of carriage gives them considerable coverage to allow any change in the itinerary. I believe the odds of winning even nominal damages in a civil case would be pretty slim.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. 

I don’t think my "legal" case has a snowball’s chance in hell.

Still, I’d be screaming "kidnap", "help, we’re being held hostage", and multiple
other insane things while they dragged my ass to the Bahamas. My impassioned
speech in the Dining Hall that night about "freedom, wrongful imprisonment, and
slave ships" would be make grown men cry and women swoon. My interpretative 
dance on the Lido Deck at midnight about corporate greed and the oppression
of the common man would be Legendary! Of course, I’d film the whole thing and
post it everywhere. Hell, I might even try to insight a mutiny while I was at it. 

Mostly for my own entertainment though. I agree, no one would 
really give a shit. That doesn’t mean I’m wrong though….grin 

Edited by nycman

Some cruise lines offer A Cruise to Nowhere, short cruises with no ports of call, just a chance to work on your tan and drink yourself into oblivion.  When Crystal starts back up again, maybe they can offer A Cruise to God Knows Where.

I'm still kinda blown away by the Serenity's world cruise getting cut so short.  Imagine planning for a 3.5 month cruise around the world, eagerly anticipating all the exotic, glamorous ports of call.  You set sail from Miami and ... end up in the Bahamas??

20 minutes ago, BSR said:

Some cruise lines offer A Cruise to Nowhere, short cruises with no ports of call, just a chance to work on your tan and drink yourself into oblivion.  When Crystal starts back up again, maybe they can offer A Cruise to God Knows Where.

I'm still kinda blown away by the Serenity's world cruise getting cut so short.  Imagine planning for a 3.5 month cruise around the world, eagerly anticipating all the exotic, glamorous ports of call.  You set sail from Miami and ... end up in the Bahamas??

I cannot imagine any of those scenarios in my life. Not the planning. Not the anticipation. Not the glamour. And definitely not Miami. I went on one week-long cruise on a beautiful ship with really good food, and a service-oriented crew, and my motto is Jesus, Never Again

51 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

I cannot imagine any of those scenarios in my life. Not the planning. Not the anticipation. Not the glamour. And definitely not Miami. I went on one week-long cruise on a beautiful ship with really good food, and a service-oriented crew, and my motto is Jesus, Never Again

While not a cancelled cruise story…I have Close friends who planned a two year around the world trip. Two kids graduated from college, the gentleman retired, sold their sailboat, plans to see the world. Their date of departure? April 1, 2020. Covid killed the trip. Reservations, deposits, plans all made for the two years. 😖 All cancelled.

1 hour ago, BSR said:

Some cruise lines offer A Cruise to Nowhere, short cruises with no ports of call, just a chance to work on your tan and drink yourself into oblivion.  When Crystal starts back up again, maybe they can offer A Cruise to God Knows Where...

Instead of Kathy Lee singing the welcome song they could have the Talking Heads sing: