SHOW TIME

Lankypeters
This topic is 5547 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: NY Times Pans Guys And Dolls

>No chemistry in the revival of the popular old show. That was

>my suspicion when I saw the casting...but it's a shame, a damn

>shame. See the review here:

>

>http://theater2.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/theater/reviews/02guys.html?8dpc

VARIETY reviewer says the revival is "strangulated."

Proves there's no such thing as a sure thing in show biz.

Front-page headline news from the NY Post this morning:

GUYS AND DULLS

Broadway Revival Leaves 'Em Snoozing

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03022009/news/columnists/this_revival_is_a_bad_bet_157635.htm

Look for this one to close soon.

Did anyone else notice the horrid posters up and around town, especially in the subways for this show? Craig Bierko's photo was terrible! Looked like a Sears photo studio reject!

ED

>

>Did anyone else notice the horrid posters up and around town,

>especially in the subways for this show? Craig Bierko's photo

>was terrible! Looked like a Sears photo studio reject!

>

>ED

>

I think you can predict something about a show's quality, and certanly its focus, from its ad campaign. The GUYS AND DOLLS posters you refer to -- and the other ads -- have no no slant. What does it say to a potential patron that Craig Bierko is Nathan Detroit? Most people won't know who either Bierko or Nathan is. Even if they did, that's not what the show is about.

A shame, a shame. It will be ten or maybe twenty years before anyone attempts to mount another production of a show that one wants to see often. I'll be back in didies.

I have tickets to see it next weekend. Maybe it'll close before then.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

"Impressionism" starring Jeremy Irons and Joan Allen, along with Marcia Mason and Andre De Shields.

It's in preview and I really enjoyed this play. It has some really funny moments, especially a scene in the second act where Andre De Shields almost steals the show.

I picked up a ticket at the last minute at TKTS and wound up with a 5th row orchestra seat. The theater seemed to be sold out.

I think they save the best seats till last. It also makes for a shorter line at TKTS. Keep that in mind.

There's a good piece in the NY Times Arts & Leisure on Joan Allen this weekend.

Guys and dolls

I finally saw GUYS AND DOLLS. A dispiriting, overpruduced staging. If I had a dollar for every laugh line that misfires and every great song that doesn't land, I wouldn't have to be concerned about my IRA. Avoid it.

Anyone see BLITHE SPIRIT? I'm hearing mixed reports, some suggesting they fumbled this one, too.

I think they save the best seats till last. It also makes for a shorter line at TKTS. Keep that in mind.

"House seats," saved for the company, are often released 24 hours before show time. I've seen sold out hits but booking a house seat at the last minute.

Theater lore has it that the box office has what they call "the Hepburn seats," held back until the very last minute -- or a half hour before curtain -- in case someone of Hepburn's repute shows up and wants to see the show. You can often get these locations just before show time.

• 2 weeks later...

"Exit The King" by Eugene Ionesco

If you like your theater absurdist this hillarious and moving production stars a brilliant Geoffrey Rush. He should win a Tony for this.

The whole cast, Susan Sarandon, Lauren Ambrose, Andrea Martin (hysterical), William Sadler and Brian Hutchison are all really terrific. It's a limited run so grab a ticket if you can.

I saw "Exit the King" last night and thought the cast was brilliant. Geoffrey Rush was superb as the King and Andrea Martin is a comic genius. The show certainly has its comedic moments, and is reminiscent of a Marx Brothers movie, even if it is an absurd tale of a dying king surrounded by a dying kingdom. The theater was totally sold out. The audience loved it.

According to Michael Reidel in today's NY Post, "Impressionism," despite be reworked into a one-act play, is still leaving audiences in a sleepy stupor. Neil LaBute's "Reasons to Be Pretty" is also being reworked into one act. (I saw this off-Broadway last year and did not think it "Broadway worthy.") These are not good signs...

ED

Our Town

What I have heard is that the version of Our Town playing at the Barrow Street Theater is powerfully well done. Always one of my favorite plays, I can't wait to see this show. I bought a full-price ticket as soon as I heard that it had been extended and will be playing when I am in town. Anyone else seen it or plan to?

• 2 weeks later...

Blithe Spirit

Any news or gossip on the Rialto about BLITHE SPIRIT. The cast would seem to be perfect. Lansbury and Everet...

Very funny and well acted. Angela Lansbury as "Madame Arcati (a role well suited for her) does an amazing job. At 82 she can still command an audience. Rupert Everett and the rest of the cast will capture your attention throughout the show... Discount tickets are available at TKTS... You'll enjoy it and come out laughing.

Coop

what i have heard is that the version of our town playing at the barrow street theater is powerfully well done. Always one of my favorite plays, i can't wait to see this show. I bought a full-price ticket as soon as i heard that it had been extended and will be playing when i am in town. Anyone else seen it or plan to?

one of the most powerful productions i've ever seen. Well worth the tariff. Take kleenex.

Very funny and well acted. Angela Lansbury as "Madame Arcati (a role well suited for her) does an amazing job. At 82 she can still command an audience. Rupert Everett and the rest of the cast will capture your attention throughout the show... Discount tickets are available at TKTS... You'll enjoy it and come out laughing.

Coop

I was especially impressed by Rupert Everett. When he and his wife (Jayne Atkinson) get going, the plays really clips along.

It's so great to see openly gay actors like Everett, Cheyenne Jackson and Gavin Creel (see OUT, May issue) playing leading -- and romantic -- roles, and not stereotypical "gay" roles or eccentrics -- to acclaim. One hopes this trend will affect film, as well.

Jackson will most likely soon play another lead on Broadway. The production of "Finian's Rainbow" he headed last week at City Center Encores transfers to Broadway (the St. James) this fall.

Show time - The Singing Sorest

Yes, Lucky, I have a ticket for "The Singing Forest" next Friday night at the Public theater. I love Craig Lucas' music and I'm excited to see Jonathan Groff and Randy Harrison in this production.

I wonder if Jonathan is regreting his decision not to reprise his role in "Hair"? I understand he declined the role on Broadway because they only offered the actors scale wages. It received terrific reviews, and I am anxious to see the show again. I saw the original production last summer at the Delacorte in Central Park.

FYI, I saw "Blithe Spirit" the other night and truly enjoyed Angela Landsbury's performance.

ED

Prayers for Broadway

Ed, I saw Jonathan Groff in Prayer For My Enemy, and I too now have a ticket to see Singing Forest. I didn't like him so much in the first show. But I did like him in Spring Awakening.

I note that Rock of Ages, a jukebox rock musical, begins this week on Broadway. In today's LA Times, the director calls it "the first straight-man musical." Enough said for me, even though she says that she is joking. According to the paper, the off-Broadway version received reviews ranging from mildly appalled to pleasantly surprised.

Interactive Theater

At Saturday night's performance of "reasons to be pretty" the Times reports that the female lead in the first act was chewing out her boyfriend on stage when a male audience member stood up and called her a "bitch" twice, said a few other unprintable things, and left the theater. Security has now been increased.

Guest jaighbos

I note that Rock of Ages, a jukebox rock musical, begins this week on Broadway. In today's LA Times, the director calls it "the first straight-man musical." Enough said for me, even though she says that she is joking. According to the paper, the off-Broadway version received reviews ranging from mildly appalled to pleasantly surprised.

I'll be at the opening tomorrow night. Must say I'm glad I saved some of my '80's thin ties, if only I could find my leopard skin leotards! Have seen snippets of the show from the back of the house - the folks who go knowing what the show is like are having a blast - but it sure ain't for what could be considered "traditionalists"!

Two Lovers

Currently, there aren't too many new movies in the theaters that I'd recommend, however, today I saw "Two Lovers" and enjoyed it very much... After seeing Joaquin Phoenix's performance, I hope he won't be giving up his acting for his music career. He did an outstanding job. Also putting in a good performance was Gwyneth Paltrow.

For those of you not familiar with the plot of this movie, here's a review I copied:

"An involving, ultimately touching romantic drama about a young man's struggle deciding between the two women in his life, "Two Lovers" reps a welcome change of pace for director James Gray from his run of crime mellers. Well acted by Joaquin Phoenix, Gwyneth Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw, this very New York tale is old-fashioned in good ways that have to do with solid storytelling, craftsmanship and emotional acuity. Developing an audience will be another matter altogether; its central romantic dynamic would be entirely accessible to a mass audience, but pic's smallish nature and lack of real B.O. names suggest that interest will need to be built among discerning viewers via fest exposure and critical support, leading into gradual platform release by a dedicated distrib."

Manhattan to Prague and beyond

The dances in the revival of "West Side Story" are thrilling and the orchestra rocks. The show seems dated in style and content. The leads are bland, as written, and Matt Cavanaugh, in particular, is not strong enough -- or convincing enough as a former gang member -- to hold the center.

I highly recommend "The Country Teacher," a film playing at the QUAD here in NYC. A gay teacher from Prague flees a failed relationship to teach in the country. Here he becomes enamored of a young boy. The characters are wonderful and the outcome very satisfying.

I wish we could get a separate forum for the arts. This thread becomes cumbersome. Possibly, anyone?

Archived