Medellin trip: entry and reentry requirements

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 828 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi. I’m planning a trip to Medellin. As far as I can tell the only entry requirement for Colombia other than a valid passport is an online form to be completed within 48 hours of arrival. No covid test is needed.

for reentry to the USA is a covid test still required or is proof of vaccination an acceptable alternative?

thanks!

I did more digging and it looks like to return to the US I will need proof of vaccination and a negative covid test.

the antigen tests gives results in around 30-45 minutes. The PCR test results take 24-36 hours.  Apparently the rapid test meets the requirement to reenter the US if it’s a viral test. How does one determine if an antigen test is a viral test?

thanks!

On 11/30/2021 at 2:59 PM, Doe Be Doe said:

I did more digging and it looks like to return to the US I will need proof of vaccination and a negative covid test.

the antigen tests gives results in around 30-45 minutes. The PCR test results take 24-36 hours.  Apparently the rapid test meets the requirement to reenter the US if it’s a viral test. How does one determine if an antigen test is a viral test?

thanks!

Antigen and anti-body tests are also different and one is accepted one isn't. PCR's are always accepted but take a long time. Here's a good summary/help list.

Finding those tests overseas to take before your flight home is a PITA. You would think they'd be everywhere and hotels, airlines, airports, the gov't etc would help.....Nope. 

To fly from Toronto to Buffalo 1 hour you must be vaccinated, take a test a day before, wear N-95 masks, and not take them off at all. To fly from the most-infected place on the east coast of the US to the least infected place on the west coast for 5 hours packed like sardines, you do not need to be vaccinated, you do not need to take a test, you only need a flimsy mask which you don't need to wear while eating or drinking, and there's not even contact tracing. 

Politics and theater.  

Edited by tassojunior

Due to the Omicron strain, rules for heading back to the States have tightened up considerably (and may tighten more in coming weeks.  Be prepared).

Confirmed is that it needs to be 1 day before travel back to the US.  24 hours.  

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/new-us-covid-19-international-travel-testing-rules-take-effect-monday-2021-12-02/

Look into using the VeriFly app on the way back.  It makes the airport's job of checking your status a lot quicker and more efficient.

https://myverifly.com/#/home

Whether you agree with it or not, this is how it is.  You cannot change it.  Stay home if you don't want to play the game.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

It appears that the migration/health form must be completed for entry to Colombia but, perhaps counterintuitively, also in order to leave Colombia. I think this also holds true for Dominican Republic and possibly other nations as well. So attend to exit documentation while attending to USA entry documentation.  

Edited by SirBIllybob

Guest MikeThomas
19 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Due to the Omicron strain, rules for heading back to the States have tightened up considerably (and may tighten more in coming weeks.  Be prepared).

Confirmed is that it needs to be 1 day before travel back to the US.  24 hours.  

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/new-us-covid-19-international-travel-testing-rules-take-effect-monday-2021-12-02/

Look into using the VeriFly app on the way back.  It makes the airport's job of checking your status a lot quicker and more efficient.

https://myverifly.com/#/home

Whether you agree with it or not, this is how it is.  You cannot change it.  Stay home if you don't want to play the game.

Had trouble with the iPhone VeriFly app.  Was able to use the VeriFly website as a backup. Helps speed your way through. 

I'm back from Medellin. A very beautiful city and I can't wait to go back.

For entry into Colombia I had to show my passport and an entry form completed online before arrival which asked some covid questions. Immigration at the Medellin airport was not difficult.

On leaving Colombia I had to show my passport and yet another online form that asked no covid questions.

Upon arrival at the Medellin airport to return to the US I had to show proof of vaccination and a negative covid test taken within the last 24 hours. Arrival back in the US only required a passport.

Thanks for all the input. 

I can't wait to go back to Medellin.

• 1 month later...

Hey Doe Be Doe (or anyone else here) - is anyone thinking of going to Medellin in 2022?

I've never traveled to South America before, and was eyeing this spring (April to May). I'd be heading alone, and am only interested in hiring (both online and in clubs), not hooking up with anyone. But it's always good to know someone in Medellin who's traveling for the same reason, if only to watch each others' backs.

11 hours ago, DrownedBoy said:

Hey Doe Be Doe (or anyone else here) - is anyone thinking of going to Medellin in 2022?

I've never traveled to South America before, and was eyeing this spring (April to May). I'd be heading alone, and am only interested in hiring (both online and in clubs), not hooking up with anyone. But it's always good to know someone in Medellin who's traveling for the same reason, if only to watch each others' backs.

I am planning to spend Spring Break there, in the second week of April. I advise you to go to gayguides (former boytoy) and research the threads there. There are several recent conversations with useful information. I will probably be renting an Airbnb in Laureles.