Stephen Sondheim Dies and the World Cries

TruthBTold
This topic is 846 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

6 hours ago, keroscenefire said:

Patti LuPone doing justice to "Ladies who Lunch." Such a legacy but glad we still have those who can interpret his work with such verve and wit.  

I’ve never been a big Patti LuPone fan, but this performance…..on the same stage with Elaine Stritch….is a truly Epic performance!

Different people mourn and commemorate in different ways. For a man who has had several heart attacks in his life, I'd say 91 is pretty damn good. And I would think he's led a pretty full life. But still, losing him is very sad. For me, extremely sad, as I've spent so much of my career with his music, and his work has influenced my life a great deal. Even as that legacy lives on, it's still hard to face the fact that he's gone.

I'll be musical director for a production of Into The Woods this spring - it will surely be a bittersweet experience so soon after his passing. (Callback auditions are mid-January, not very long from now.) But I'm also extremely glad I get to spend a few months with that score again - it will be a great way to commemorate him. 

I'd say we not judge words like "tragedy" and just let people feel as they choose to feel. `

And of course, much as Hammerstein was a mentor to Sondheim, Sondheim was a mentor to the young Jonathan Larson, who was just shy of 36 when he died unexpectedly, just as his groundbreaking musical Rent started previews off-Broadway. "Sometimes people leave you halfway through the wood." In the case of Sondheim, we're incredibly lucky to have had his talents around us for so many years. But he was working on another show - which now of course we will never see. (Though hopefully a song or two will be leaked?)

Edited by bostonman

On 11/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, nycman said:

He was 91 freaking years old……

The world has lost a great and talented man. No doubt, but a "tragedy"? Really?

His brilliant mind and sense of theatrical purpose never flagged with the onset of age. There are unfinished works he left behind, and perhaps the loss we feel mourns what might have been. 

Sound the flute…
Blow the horn…
Pluck the lute…
Forward, mourn!

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, 1962

Edited by jeezifonly