Online Gay Therapist - Recommendation?

EastCoastBtm

Happy Thanksgiving all...

Holidays have become almost unbearable in the last few years.  I'm approaching 50 and, other than my family, I feel utterly alone - no boyfriend, no friends.  Holidays always bring out the worse feelings of loneliness and melancholy. I find myself ruminating on it to the point of tears.

I have found it's worse than usual this year and think I need to do something about it.

Does anyone have any gay male therapists either online or in person (that you could ask if they would be willing to offer online) that you could recommend?  I really need to talk about gay sex, dating, body image, and other issues I feel like are best understood by someone from the 'community'.

Feel free to DM if easier to talk about this in private or post resources in public.  I live in the Philly suburbs if that matters.  

Thank you.

You are right - winter and the yuletide holidays are not the "most wonderful time of the year" esp for those among us who feel the incongruity of their personal lives as compared to the mirth and conviviality portrayed in movies & advertisements. Congratulations on identifying your feelings and seeking help!

I provided individual, group, and family therapy for many years and, for a while, worked in Philly. But that was many years ago and I don't have any current therapists to recommend. But I do offer a link that may give you the opportunity to review some of the therapists in the Philly area, along with info about their specialties, treatment philosophy, and financial arrangements.  I have checked the listings on the linked site for the therapists in my own local area and they are, for the most part, competent & reliable. Check out the site, click on the "more..." filter, and then click the "LGBTQ+" filter if you want someone who is likely either gay or gay-friendly. (A therapist may or may not divulge his/her sexual preference but many will.)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/pa/philadelphia

Therapy is not cheap. Fortunately, most insurance policies pay for some limited treatment. You would be wise to check with your insurance provider to determine coverage. I believe that Medicare, Part B, pays for 80% of "medically necessary" therapy.

Once you have identified a few therapists that appeal to you, call and set up an initial session. Some therapists offer a free session for you to ask questions and see if you and the therapist are a good match. But remember that therapy is not "rent-a-friend." Therapy is about change, and nobody likes change,, even in our misery. So, sometimes a therapist who may be a little demanding might be just what you need. And please, don't get frustrated if your mood doesn't improve overnight.

Don't wait. Call today. And, if you think that I could offer any support, advice, or encouragement, DM me. I don't often participate in the forums, but I do visit occasionally to see what's going on. Good luck.

I’m in the same boat, so I empathize. I’m thinking of getting a party house in la the week before Christmas and filling it with studs as a break from the seasonal sadness I’m in the midst of too. Wanna hang in LA if I do it? 

my very good friend is a gay therapist.
https://instagram.com/twhitfieldphd?utm_medium=copy_link

im not sure if he’s taking patients, but check out his vibe and let me know if you think he could help. I’ll text him if it is a feasible resource. 

• 1 year later...

Glad I happened on this topic and read it.    With it being September of 2023,  now is a great time to think about helping those that might be alone with the holidays by being kind and making them a part of yours.    Clearly no therapy,   other than kindness.      I hope the OP,  made it through the holidays and is a better position this year.    I was impressed that another member stepped up and gave some significant advice to consider.

I always include an older gay friend (whose husband died some years ago).   He is always alone at the holidays despite having a lot of friends and we include him in either Thanksgiving or Christmas gatherings.      I know the cold (and dark) winter months can be tough as well.

Edited by ICTJOCK