Who's seen Valkyrie?

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5582 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

There seems to be some confusion over what happened to the conspirators, specifically, whether some of them were hanged with piano wire. I recall a video rendition years ago which showed them with piano wire around their necks while a crane lifted the nooses and they strangled for several minutes - a horribly grizzly scene.

Does the movie deal with that?

(I plan to see it - I'm just curious for now). :*

I recall a video rendition years ago which

>showed them with piano wire around their necks while a crane

>lifted the nooses and they strangled for several minutes - a

>horribly grizzly scene.

>

>Does the movie deal with that?

No cranes but pleanty of piano wire. The scene was less grizzly than Tom Cruises acting.

I also recall that some were given the opportunity to do the deed themselves. Such was the case when Erwin Rommel was only peripherally implicated in the plot. He was given the choice of committing suicide vs. arrest and conviction. He chose the former. Of course to complete the sham Rommel was then given a state funeral with full honors with the claim he had died a hero.

all of you are right

I saw it on opening day. There was some who died by hanging and others were shot. In the movie the scenes went back and forth between the two forms of execution. There was also a documentary on the History channel. One may be able to google something and find out more on the historychannel.com

I'm guessing as with other "Projects" as they call them, it was just another instance of "Cruise Hiring Cruise"!

Would anybody in their right mind hire him for that type of part, when there's Fine Actors and not STAR'S around?

I doubt he would want to get his ass Fired again like Redstone did to him! I guess with all the Scientologists buying tickets, it might break even! ;-)

>I'm guessing as with other "Projects" as they call

>them, it was just another instance of "Cruise Hiring

>Cruise"!

>

You are probably right JT; no one in their right mind would hire him. After Risky Business and All the Right Moves it has been down hill ......

Guest ncm2169

Out of curiosity, what do the Reviews say about Cruise, etc.? If they love him, we may see who's in cahoots with whom. x(

The July 1944 plot against Hitler was detailed in William Shirer's book, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, which was published in 1960. I went back to it when I heard the movie was based on that incident. It is truly a chilling account.

The plot involved a lot of people but was entrusted to relatively few to carry out. While initial reports had it that Hitler had died, Goebbels was able to ascertain that he had survived and he intervened to foil the conspirators. The attempted overthrow was over in eleven hours.

Those most closely involved such as the Cruise character were shot immediately. Hitler ordered that all conspirators be tracked down and liquidated. This task rolled out over the following months and a "People's Court" sentenced thousands to die, including a Field Marshall, numerous generals, and many others.

It is true that officers generally got shot while others were garroted by piano wire hung from meat hooks. Rommel was tangiently involved and was given the option of suicide or the People's Court (once in this court the chances of acquital were nil). He chose poison and it was reported that he had suffered an embolism following injuries he had sustained earlier.

Hitler was afraid of Rommel being subjected to a trial because he was the most popular officer in Germany because of his African campaign. He was able to persuade Rommel to commit suicide because those who were found guilty (virtually all) lost all their assets besides their lives and their families were sent to concentration camps. This Rommel knew and he wanted to spare his wife and children from this fate.

In all, over 5000 people died for the plot. Had it been successful the war would have ended in the summer of 1944 because the plotters would have sued for peace. History would have been different as the Germans wanted to deal with the Americans and British and not the Russians. Russian armies were still tied up in the Soviet Union and had the war ended then, they probably wouldn't have gained control over all of Eastern and Central Europe.

C'est la Guerre! :-(

The reviews on Cruise have been mixed. I thought he was clearly working hard to make his character credible, but there was real dissonance between American movie star and Serious British Actors portraying most of the other leads. The failure to adopt a uniform accent undermined the credibility of the presentation. But on many accounts the movie works well, and it was apparently a hit with audiences over the Xmas weekend.

The accents are pretty uniform except for Cruise. The framing device at the beginning that has him speaking German with a German accent that then morphs into American English is stupid.

All of the English accents in the film are assigned to "Good" Nazis and the German accents to "Bad" Nazis. Pretty silly but consistent at least.

I was surprised to see that The New Yorker gave Cruise a good review for Valkyrie. In fact, the critic said that he "carried the film." Maybe he meant that the film would not have been made but for Cruise's role in organizing and getting funding for the project. In which case, if we think the film itself was a worthwhile venture, to tell a story that hasn't previously been told, maybe we shouldn't be so hard on Tom for acting in a cast in which he just didn't really "fit in."

I was surprised to see that The New Yorker gave Cruise a good review for Valkyrie. In fact, the critic said that he "carried the film." Maybe he meant that the film would not have been made but for Cruise's role in organizing and getting funding for the project. In which case, if we think the film itself was a worthwhile venture, to tell a story that hasn't previously been told, maybe we shouldn't be so hard on Tom for acting in a cast in which he just didn't really "fit in."

Guest ncm2169

< to tell a story that hasn't previously been told

In what respect? I seem to recall a handful of productions over the past 50 years or more that told the story. One of them is where I saw the piano wire/cranes scene.

Guest ncm2169

< to tell a story that hasn't previously been told

In what respect? I seem to recall a handful of productions over the past 50 years or more that told the story. One of them is where I saw the piano wire/cranes scene.

UWSMAN..I think Cruise put himself in the middle of very good "Actors" to boost his never ending MOVIE STAR ONLY Bad Acting,

just my opinion, but I have never liked much of anything he's been in and this is a case once again of, let us try and make Tommy look good as Team Player's! ;-)

Guest zipperzone

>UWSMAN..I think Cruise put himself in the middle of very good

>"Actors" to boost his never ending MOVIE STAR ONLY

>Bad Acting,

>just my opinion, but I have never liked much of anything he's

>been in and this is a case once again of, let us try and make

>Tommy look good as Team Player's! ;-)

The only time he was worth watching were those films where he showed off in his tighty whiteys - Risky Business and Top Gun. He has an ass to be admired!

But that was then and now is now. I don't think I would go to see him today, even if he appeared buck naked with a boner.

Archived