A gay version of Sex and the City... with actual gay men. OVER 30!!! (jaw drops lol)

Merboy
This topic is 992 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'd love to get this onto HBO Max or some streaming service.

A 35-year-old protagonist is struggling with aging (it's hitting him in the face with a hammer every day) and being single... in a city where everyone seems to be young and hot.

His best friends are:

- a cynical New York City Councilman, and aspiring Mayor of New York City - focused on his career...and not so much on men anymore.

- a really sweet Juilliard student - ballet - he's from Oklahoma or some place like that, and he's young.  He has his whole life ahead of him.  Like most young guys, he takes it for granted.

- an aging sex-god - an insatiable muscle bottom - 40 years old but looks damn good, and he's had more sex than Warren Beatty ever had.

And then there's the "Carrie Bradshaw" of the show - the 35 year old guy who spends Friday nights in front of his laptop, binge watching The Golden Girls for the 1000th time - maybe Italian or Jewish or both - Not really ever attractive, big nose, but at least now at 35, he has the confidence he's never ever had.

Then there's "Mr. Big" - the unattainable gorgeous hunk that represents the ultimate gay husband fantasy - but he's just not that interested in him - or is he?

Wow, 35 and 40 and already stressing about their ages?  That might play well to some gay men (and I've known a few who seemed age obsessed from fairly young ages), but my experience is that plenty of guys in their thirties and forties who are "hot" are still viewed as "hot" and so aren't stressed about aging.  As someone nearing 60, I'd say that the stress about aging seems to surface for many after they hit 50, not mid-thirties or 40.

52 minutes ago, maninsoma said:

Wow, 35 and 40 and already stressing about their ages?  That might play well to some gay men (and I've known a few who seemed age obsessed from fairly young ages), but my experience is that plenty of guys in their thirties and forties who are "hot" are still viewed as "hot" and so aren't stressed about aging.  As someone nearing 60, I'd say that the stress about aging seems to surface for many after they hit 50, not mid-thirties or 40.

Its not so much the "number" , its more the vision in the mirror.... If that aint some wake-up call shit, I dont know what is ? 

young-man-looking-at-an-older-himself-in

42 minutes ago, jjkrkwood said:

Its not so much the "number" , its more the vision in the mirror.... If that aint some wake-up call shit, I dont know what is ? 

young-man-looking-at-an-older-himself-in

True.  I just don't know anyone who looked in the mirror at age 35 and thought what was being reflected back was old looking.  They might have had other self-esteem issues related to looks, but it wasn't because they were already looking old. 

The general concept would work, but in the 24 years since "Sex and the City" was originally published (it was a book before being made into a TV series) the notion of being "old" at 35 has fallen by the wayside. At the very least, I'd make the characters 45, not 35. More than that, why copy a show about straight women? Do something original. 

You mentioned "Golden Girls." At least they were generally happy with themselves. I'd much rather spend time with Blanche Deveraux and Rose Nylund than I would Samantha and Carrie. 

This pitches like a potential hit! But…I have a few notes

1. Don’t. 

2. Please don’t.

3. if you’re going to do this, I beg you to please not. 

4. What, your talent doesn’t deserve a chance to do something ANYTHING that is new, and not a just another version of A meets B? Of course it does, darling. 

5. Watch every gay dramedy on TUBI, Filmrise, IFC, Netflix and TNT. Throw out every word of dialog of your script that feels like it may just be taken from any of these shows.

6. A cooking show is always nice, less …controversial. 

7. Go on vacation, re-evaluate what you want to say with this new show and come back to it with additional fresh eyes, and get busy.

8,9,10. Don’t Do It.

Good luck - keeping eyes peeled!

1 hour ago, maninsoma said:

True.  I just don't know anyone who looked in the mirror at age 35 and thought what was being reflected back was old looking.  They might have had other self-esteem issues related to looks, but it wasn't because they were already looking old. 

Perhaps, but if you read many of the posts of members on This site, they started grooming and maintenance routines in their early years, and have even gotten procedures such as Botox and fillers, dermabrasions etc, and they arent even 50....      There is a certain focus on youth and youthful appearance, and the stigma around it for men has diminished in the new generation.... Start early, they tell you.....   It's good advice.     I  am glad I am GAY, because I was aware and into grooming and self care at a very early age when my str8 counterparts wouldnt be seen Dead with a tube of moisturizer or loofa sponge , and I believe its the only reason I look much LESS than my 70 years.   I suppose its also helpful my parents were youthful looking ?  🤔

40 minutes ago, rvwnsd said:

The general concept would work, but in the 24 years since "Sex and the City" was originally published (it was a book before being made into a TV series) the notion of being "old" at 35 has fallen by the wayside. At the very least, I'd make the characters 45, not 35. More than that, why copy a show about straight women? Do something original. 

You mentioned "Golden Girls." At least they were generally happy with themselves. I'd much rather spend time with Blanche Deveraux and Rose Nylund than I would Samantha and Carrie. 

Blanche was a bit self obssessed and narcistic in my opinion, and always concerned about her appearance, but she was generally happy and content with a slice of "cheesecake"...

4 hours ago, jjkrkwood said:

Blanche was a bit self obssessed and narcistic in my opinion, and always concerned about her appearance, but she was generally happy and content with a slice of "cheesecake"...

EXACTLY!