Moderna Working on Promising HIV Vaccine

lonely_john
This topic is 1082 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Lots of well polished psuedo-scientific babble. As my 11th English teacher used to say “show me don’t snow me”.

I’ve dreamed up 1,000 cures/vaccines for HIV...and prayed 10,000 others fantasies would become a reality.

It’s been a lifetime of crushing disappointment and a singlular spectacular “tie game” with combination therapy.

Forgive me if I’m a skeptic.

Lots of well polished psuedo-scientific babble. As my 11th English teacher used to say “show me don’t snow me”.

I’ve dreamed up 1,000 cures/vaccines for HIV...and prayed 10,000 others fantasies would become a reality.

It’s been a lifetime of crushing disappointment and a singlular spectacular “tie game” with combination therapy.

Forgive me if I’m a skeptic.

I actually ended up watching this video after reading an article on the internet. The subject is real.

I understand that a 1st trial is just that and there are many phases until a successful vaccine is approved.

However, this new information is very encouraging.

I actually ended up watching this video after reading an article on the internet. The subject is real.

I understand that a 1st trial is just that and there are many phases until a successful vaccine is approved.

However, this new information is very encouraging.

I'm also hopeful for this. I think it's amazing that the mRNA technology were getting vaccinated with for Covid is being used for this.

Apparently HIV is just the start. Cancer is another one they'll be using this for.

If you thought right-wing opposition to the HPV and COVID vaccines was bad, wait until there’s a vaccine to keep the gays from getting HIV. Lord, don‘t encourage that promiscuous butt sex!

Yes, everything is possible. But when this kind of news comes to light, like the video above, it means that there have been already some business meetings happening. Moreover, as far as I know, no project (like a 2nd phase) would get the green light if an economic feasibility study doesn't prove benefit. Let's remember that Big Pharma doesn't move a finger unless there is an economic benefit for them. There are more than 600,000 people in the world using PrEP and surely there will be many more who will probably pay to get the vaccine. Once again COVID proved to be an accelerator of change.

width=567pxhttps://www.who.int/images/default-source/departments/hiv/figure-1.png?Status=Master&sfvrsn=aee4a30d_11[/img]

Source: https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/global-data-shows-increasing-prep-use-and-widespread-adoption-of-who-prep-recommendations

Edited by lonely_john

There was a lot of conversation when Prep first came out that the medication in some ways could almost be a vaccine if it became very widely used among the populations most likely to contract HIV.

Unfortunately the cost of the medication and low adherence among some groups made that a challenge. Though in areas that have really pushed, Prep, there has been some great success in decreasing HIV infection rates. Australia is a good example.

So I am encouraged by this vaccine. If it can be something people take once or maybe even every few years, that could both lower the cost and increase adherence to the point where there is so little HIV in a population, that it can becomes nearly eliminated.

Devil's in the details, but definitely hope. These MRNA vaccines are possibly a real game changer in many diseases.

If you thought right-wing opposition to the HPV and COVID vaccines was bad, wait until there’s a vaccine to keep the gays from getting HIV. Lord, don‘t encourage that promiscuous butt sex!

Yeah they absolutely loved HIV. You start taking away their best tools and they've got allot less to guilt people with.

I'm also hopeful for this. I think it's amazing that the mRNA technology were getting vaccinated with for Covid is being used for this.

Apparently HIV is just the start. Cancer is another one they'll be using this for.

mRNA (gene editing, and its cousin CRISPR) is a complete game changer. Expect amazing progress in medicine over the next decade based on this technology alone!

What happens in a Petri dish and what happens in the body are often two very different things. Phase One trials are mostly about safety,not truly about efficacy.

I'm more hopeful PreP becomes more affordable once the exclusivity of generic Truvada ends later this year. That should be a game-changer.