Looking Forward to Summer Olympics 2021

MysticMenace
This topic is 997 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am not watching tennis at the Olympics (normally I will watch any tennis anywhere) because I don't have the "Olympic Channel," whatever that is, because that is what is broadcasting the tennis matches. And since most of the top women have already been knocked out early, I doubt that many WTA fans are watching either. If Djokovic gets to the final, I hope NBC will at least broadcast that live.

I read yesterday that the Japanese officials made the pitch that weather in Tokyo is mild and pleasant in July (a lie, and they knew it), and the IOC believed them (or pretended to) when they awarded the games. I think the 2020/2021 Summer Games are turning into such a disaster that the IOC is going to have trouble getting commitments for future games that haven't already been scheduled, unless the 2024 games turn out to be a major success.

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

I am not watching tennis at the Olympics (normally I will watch any tennis anywhere) because I don't have the "Olympic Channel," whatever that is, because that is what is broadcasting the tennis matches. And since most of the top women have already been knocked out early, I doubt that many WTA fans are watching either. If Djokovic gets to the final, I hope NBC will at least broadcast that live.

I read yesterday that the Japanese officials made the pitch that weather in Tokyo is mild and pleasant in July (a lie, and they knew it), and the IOC believed them (or pretended to) when they awarded the games. I think the 2020/2021 Summer Games are turning into such a disaster that the IOC is going to have trouble getting commitments for future games that haven't already been scheduled, unless the 2024 games turn out to be a major success.

Good to know - I guess the IOC does not have easy access to weather data for Tokyo to perform their due diligence before awarding the games to Japan. 🤣 

After a ballkid needed medical attention, after the women's draw had 3 retirements due to the extreme conditions, and most importantly after all US singles players have been eliminated, the schedulers finally agreed to bend a bit.  Today's men's singles quarterfinals will start at 3pm instead of 11am.  It'll still be plenty hot, and the court will have no shade (at least at the start of the match), but at least the players will be spared the worst heat of the day.

@JoeMendoza apparently the members of the IOC, who traverse the globe in private jets and stay in 5-star hotels, don't have Internet access.  How tragic!  Perhaps we should start up a GoFundMe.

Edited by BSR
Grammar

6 minutes ago, BSR said:

After a ballkid needed medical attention, the women's draw had 3 retirements due to the extreme conditions, and most importantly after all US singles players have been eliminated, the schedulers finally agreed to bend a bit.  Today's men's singles quarterfinals will start at 3pm instead of 11am.  It'll still be plenty hot, and the court will have no shade (at least at the start of the match), but at least the players will be spared the worst heat of the day.

@JoeMendoza apparently the members of the IOC, who traverse the globe in private jets and stay in 5-star hotels, don't have Internet access.  How tragic!  Perhaps we should start up a GoFundMe.

it sounds like you just directed me to my next job!

On 7/25/2021 at 7:42 AM, mike carey said:

All that is true, but I doubt that the Japanese broadcaster has the same sway as NBC over the IOC, or that the Tokyo Organising Committee would be able to influence scheduling to suit Japanese audiences. As you pointed out earlier, NBC pays a shit-tonne of money for the rights, and although US tennis players are few now, they would likely not have known that when scheduling decisions were made. Will the IOC be flexible if players complain? I doubt it unless it's going to affect their bottom line, they don't give a f**k about athletes, only money. (BTW, I wasn't suggesting that NBC's influence is a bad thing, just making the obvious point that it is a thing.) Sitting here one hour ahead of Tokyo time, they'd have to try really hard to make live broadcast times inconvenient here.

I read a couple of interesting news bits over on men's tennis forum.  The Japanese were happy to schedule the Olympics in the fall, but NBC didn't want to compete for ratings against (American) football.  Money talks, and NBC's container ship full of cash speaks so loudly it'll blow out your eardrums.

As for scheduling matches in the late afternoon & evening, two problems: 1) with 5 tennis events (men's & women's singles, men's & women's doubles, plus mixed doubles) in a short time frame and the ever-looming threat of rain (only 1 court has a retractable roof), schedulers had to pack the matches in, which meant starting in the heat of the day; and 2) much of the staff running the tennis venue are volunteers, who were told that matches would start at 11am & end in the late afternoon.  The organizers can't exactly force them to switch their schedules to work from late afternoon well into the night because after all they're volunteers. 

Edited by BSR
Typo

11 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

congrats, max!

In terms of physical attractiveness, Sam Mikulak & Max Whitlock are about tied for the gold in World's Hottest Gymnast (not an official Olympic event, although it should be).  But then I hear Max's accent & just melt.

Edited by BSR
Typo

Why aren't the United States team sports on LIVE??? I've been super irritated with non-coverage of the lesser sports, and tape delayed showings of medium level interest sports. Show me the damn thing when it's happening!!! This seems to be a classic case of if it's inconvenient to the East Coast (12 AM or 1 AM start our time), then to hell with the West Coast seeing it live at all, even though watching a two hour event at 9 or 10 PM is VERY doable. 

To be clear I AM referring to the extended Olympic channels showing things, not regular NBC, which of course isn't showing things live, understandable due to the 13 hour time difference. 

4 hours ago, Smurof said:

Why aren't the United States team sports on LIVE??? I've been super irritated with non-coverage of the lesser sports, and tape delayed showings of medium level interest sports. Show me the damn thing when it's happening!!! This seems to be a classic case of if it's inconvenient to the East Coast (12 AM or 1 AM start our time), then to hell with the West Coast seeing it live at all, even though watching a two hour event at 9 or 10 PM is VERY doable. 

To be clear I AM referring to the extended Olympic channels showing things, not regular NBC, which of course isn't showing things live, understandable due to the 13 hour time difference. 

it's probably strategy for NBC to gain more viewership on its Peacock platform - not sure if people bit though