Budgeting For Your Hobby

Quincy_7
This topic is 1190 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Great thread. I'm just retiring, finishing up my financials and also had to calculate my fun time expenses. As I was talking with my financial adviser he was a bit surprised at my discretionary spending amount and asked me. My comment was, I've enjoyed a custom of having flexible cash around for my fun, and want the same when I retire. Didn't go any further but it was obvious that close to $500 per week sparked his interest...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For many years, at the end of my professional career and the beginning of my early retirement, I had an annual hobby budget. I tallied all hobby expenses, provider fees, meals, hotels, travel arrangements, entertainment, tickets, etc to ensure that I stayed under budget. One year, I reached my budget cap and stopped hiring, but most years, I was well under-budget. I hire so infrequently now, that I no longer keep track.

For many years, at the end of my professional career and the beginning of my early retirement, I had an annual hobby budget. I tallied all hobby expenses, provider fees, meals, hotels, travel arrangements, entertainment, tickets, etc to ensure that I stayed under budget. One year, I reached my budget cap and stopped hiring, but most years, I was well under-budget. I hire so infrequently now, that I no longer keep track.