Anybody else take fenugreek?

robear
This topic is 1238 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My holistic physician suggested this herbal supplement along with others to help control my blood sugar, hopefully to avoid medication. Won't know if it works for that until March when I see him again. However, when I sought it out to order (3 X 500mg standardized extract) I noticed the manufacturer marketed it to "men wanting to increase testosterone levels." Surprisingly, for the first time since lockdown I'm actually horny again, much to my surprise. Googling a bit, I find references to "increased libido" as a potential side effect. Works for me! Curious if anybody else has experience with this.

My holistic physician suggested this herbal supplement along with others to help control my blood sugar, hopefully to avoid medication. Won't know if it works for that until March when I see him again. However, when I sought it out to order (3 X 500mg standardized extract) I noticed the manufacturer marketed it to "men wanting to increase testosterone levels." Surprisingly, for the first time since lockdown I'm actually horny again, much to my surprise. Googling a bit, I find references to "increased libido" as a potential side effect. Works for me! Curious if anybody else has experience with this.

That’s what I experienced in the past with fenugreek. Some herbal remedies have multiple effects. I hope it helps your blood sugar levels.

Yes Fenugreek is a delicious herb used in Middle Eastern, Central Asian and South East Asian cuisine. I love it! It helps with a variety of things but one of the odd side effects is your pee will smell like maple syrup! I kid you not!! Your underwear if you leak a few drops will also. When I walk into my bathroom, the toilet between cleanings smells like maple syrup and when I belch I repeat maple syrup and more. While I love pure maple syrup, this is constant and gets to the point that I find it nauseating because of the frequency and intensity, something that when eating food prepared with fenugreek doesn't happen. ? I stopped using it because I could no longer deal with it. Sounds absurd but the intensity is far too much after awhile of regular use.

Edited by Danny-Darko

Yes Fenugreek is a delicious herb used in Middle Eastern, Central Asian and South East Asian cuisine. I love it! It helps with a variety of things but one of the odd side effects is your pee will smell like maple syrup! I kid you not!! Your underwear if you leak a few drops will also. When I walk into my bathroom, the toilet between cleanings smells like maple syrup and when I belch I repeat maple syrup and more. While I love pure maple syrup, this is constant and gets to the point that I find it nauseating because of the frequency and intensity, something that when eating food prepared with fenugreek doesn't happen. ? I stopped using it because I could no longer deal with it. Sounds absurd but the intensity is far too much after awhile of regular use.

I've read that the odor is one of the biggest side effects/disadvantages to taking it and I noticed it when I tried it years ago. Women also sometimes take it while breast feeding because it supposedly increases lactation and estrogen levels. Some in the bodybuilding community who use it to increase testosterone levels or improve gains sometimes complain it makes their nipples sensitive, which may be a plus for some people. As with any supplement or medication your body may react differently.

When I was younger I use to try tons of supplements for one reason or another but I learned a lot of it was a waste of money or worse gave me horrible side effects.

One of my boys uses it. It comes as one of the ingredients on his sexual health supplements.

He says it doesn't make him hornier but rather more responsive to stimulation.

The spice thing is also true, and he says that's one of the reasons for Indian overpopulation.

In the same line, it also makes him smell like it. Not a very pleasant side effect.