Back to 1983

thetruth
This topic is 1326 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't think young people can appreciate how striking and modern this video was in 1983. Pop singers wore jeans or gowns on Solid Gold then, not everyone had MTV, Madonna's style in black was fresh and new. Very tired now, but in the 80s we wanted something new and at the time Madonna was IT.

Funny how she don't get the credit she deserves. She wrote this song alone.

I don't think young people can appreciate how striking and modern this video was in 1983. Pop singers wore jeans or gowns on Solid Gold then, not everyone had MTV, Madonna's style in black was fresh and new. Very tired now, but in the 80s we wanted something new and at the time Madonna was IT.

Madonna not getting the credit she deserves? I'd say that most people interested in popular music recognized her position at the top of the heap (along with a select few others) during the 1980s and 1990s. She was definitely recognized as a trend setter (even if some of those trends were actually things she just brought out from an underground scene, such as voguing).

Of course she got the credit. She's famous for having demanded it throughout her career.

The problem now is that she can't handle not being relevant, so she stages these ridiculous social media outbursts.

In addition to the catlike plastic surgery, she's never learned to grow old with any semblance of grace. It's always been kicking and screaming.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

Of course she got the credit. She's famous for having demanded it throughout her career.

The problem now is that she can't handle not being relevant, so she stages these ridiculous social media outbursts....

Meanwhile, Cyndi Lauper has, let's see now, had the most successful blues album of the year (2010), composed a musical for which she won a Tony and became the first woman to do so on her own (2013), subsequently won a Grammy for the cast album (2014), and is noted for decades of activism and fundraising for LGBT causes. She also looks great, has raised a budding musician and been married to the same handsome man for 29 years.

cyndi-lauper-husband.jpg?resize=1920%2C1080

...In addition to the catlike plastic surgery, she's never learned to grow old with any semblance of grace. It's always been kicking and screaming.

And 67-year old Cyndi can still rock multi-colored hair and outrageous outfits.

Girl's still having fun!

Meanwhile, Cyndi Lauper has, let's see now, had the most successful blues album of the year (2010), composed a musical for which she won a Tony and became the first woman to do so on her own (2013), subsequently won a Grammy for the cast album (2014), and is noted for decades of activism and fundraising for LGBT causes. She also looks great, has raised a budding musician and been married to the same handsome man for 29 years.

And 67-year old Cyndi can still rock multi-colored hair and outrageous outfits.

Girl's still having fun!

I love Cyndi Lauper. She puts on a GREAT live show and her voice is impressive.

CL never tried to be someone else or multiple-personas. That's always been her strength. She's unabashedly herself.

I love Cyndi Lauper. She puts on a GREAT live show and her voice is impressive.

Roger that! The best Cyndi Lauper show EVER was when she opened for Tina Turner in 1997. By the time the show reached Chicago she was seven or eight months pregnant with her son. She wore a skin-tight leopard print bodysuit and sang all of her songs very slowly. Just amazing.

...CL never tried to be someone else or multiple-personas. That's always been her strength. She's unabashedly herself.

When you are as talented as Cyndi, you don't have to be anyone else besides yourself.

The problem now is that she can't handle not being relevant, so she stages these ridiculous social media outbursts.

In addition to the catlike plastic surgery, she's never learned to grow old with any semblance of grace. It's always been kicking and screaming.

Ben - I could not agree more! She's quite sad these days.

Roger that! The best Cyndi Lauper show EVER was when she opened for Tina Turner in 1997. By the time the show reached Chicago she was seven or eight months pregnant with her son. She wore a skin-tight leopard print bodysuit and sang all of her songs very slowly. Just amazing.

When you are as talented as Cyndi, you don't have to be anyone else besides yourself.

I probably saw Cindi at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia, but for once I can't remember not a knock on her.