Have I been going to too many 19th Century operas?

This topic is 1317 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the plays and operas, Count Almaviva is basically an attractive scheming sexual predator. Don't forget that when Rosina carries on about her love for "Lindoro," she is unaware that he is a completely fake persona which Almaviva has assumed in order to court her.

I thought he did that because he wanted her to be impressed by his looks and singing rather than from his wealth and noble title. What impresses me so much with my "Lindoro," is that he says he felt chemistry with me on first sight, which seems to have been the case from his behavior from the beginning. I can't imagine that he could have known much about me, other than that I'm at the highest tier for that hotel chain. It's thrilling for me that he's not attracted to my wealth. He's hinted that he's made "bad choices" in the past, and hopefully I'll get some insight as to what those are over dinner on Friday. I'm not sure if it could be related to HIV or substance use? I'm not afraid of HIV since what I do doesn't put me at risk, and even if I did enjoy risky stuff, he'd be worth starting PrEP. I guess I want to impart on him that I'm thrilled with him whatever happened in his past. Like the song says, hopefully for him "the attraction was purely physical."

Update for the interested. I took him to a pricey sushi place, since he said he like sushi. We learned a lot about each other. He's the 5th of 7 children. He's brought himself up from his bootstraps, leaving home for college at 17, getting a degree, and has worked in the hospitality industry since graduation. Now working as the assistant and weekend manager at the hotel. He said he's always gone out with older men since he was 18, never interested in men his age. States he's ready to move on from the man he's now living with for financial reasons, and has told the man so, apparently. We talked about our prior relationships and families, and how we value honesty in a relationship. I realize it's still a long shot, and I don't have all of my eggs in this basket, but I'll do what I can to try to make it work. Frankly, I can't really think of another man I've met on a romantic basis whom I've like better. I did get a couple of nice kisses in the evening. We're planning on brunch tomorrow morning before I drive back up.

Brunch was nice. He dressed in a sexy tank-top and stressed jeans. Very sexy. Learned more about each other. He was flirty but didn't let me take a photo of him with my iPhone. Still exchanging lovey-dovey texts. I still feel he's a long-shot, but I have to try. Totally into him.