Hurricane-force Winds Wreak Havoc in Salt Lake City

rvwnsd
This topic is 1323 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If the wildfires and global pandemic weren't bad enough, Utah suffered winds reaching up to 99 MPH Monday and Tuesday, causing hundred of uprooted trees, crushed cars, semis tossed around the freeway, and in one neighborhood a mattress roaring down a street. The Salt Lake City Tribune and Deseret News both have coverage.

A colleague who lives in SLC said she sustained a downed section of fence but no debris. It had all been blown away by the winds.

Scary.

Could someone please change the headline from 'WRECK' to 'WREAK' ?

Thank you for pointing that out.

For future reference, make sure you write the sentence correctly when pointing out a typo . The correct way to have written the sentence was to encase the words "wreck" and "wreak" in quotation marks ("), not apostrophes ('), and place the question mark inside of the quotation marks, as below:

Could someone please change the headline from "WRECK" to "WREAK?"

For future reference, make sure you write the sentence correctly when pointing out a typo . The correct way to have written the sentence was to encase the words "wreck" and "wreak" in quotation marks ("), not apostrophes ('), and place the question mark inside of the quotation marks, as below:

It’s reasonable to use single quotes instead of double quotes. The British do it all the time.

Of course, they also say ‘Concorde’ instead of ‘The Concorde’; ‘Hospital’ instead of ‘The hospital’; and don’t use periods after Mr, Mrs, or Dr

I think the question mark is properly placed outside the quotation marks. Otherwise it turns the word 'wreak' into a question, rather than the whole phrase being the question.

I think the question mark is properly placed outside the quotation marks. Otherwise it turns the word 'wreak' into a question, rather than the whole phrase being the question.

I regret to say, that while I agree with @CuriousByNature 's reasoning, @rvwnsd is correct, at least for papers I submitted in a graduate course as recently as spring of 2018. I got marked down for not putting punctuation inside quotes at the end of a sentence - even when that punctuation does not appear in the original quote, and that is what some of the official academic style-guides mandate.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, no (I know I'm not the first) single and double quotation marks are both valid, and which you chose is a question of style. (Organisations and institutions can have a style guide that mandates on over the other, the Australian DOD specified single quotes.) The exception to this is if there is a quotation within a quotation you use the single marks for one and double for the other. And where punctuation marks go depends on the meaning, and in this case the question mark relates to the whole sentence not the work 'wreak'. Basically, if the punctuation mark is part of the quotation it's inside the inverted commas, and it's outside if it's not. (Generally you only have one punctuation mark, but if a quotation ends with an exclamation mark inside the inverted comma, you could have a question mark outside it if you were using the quotation in a question that you were posing.)

I got marked down for not putting punctuation inside quotes at the end of a sentence - even when that punctuation does not appear in the original quote, and that is what some of the official academic style-guides mandate.

Well, I would say they were flat wrong!! But you were the one writing the paper and arguing with them, not me.

*Rant over.*