Rediscovering opera on CD/DVD?

jeezifonly
This topic is 1327 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Closure of venues and more time at home has given us access to streamed concerts, recitals, and full operas. I’m loving it, even for one-off enjoyment. But the range of literature stays mostly within standard repertoire.

Who’s digging into their neglected trove of collected recordings, and what is recapturing your imagination all over again? (My collection including vinyl goes back half a century...but is mostly CD)

For me, Nicolae Bretan’s 1-acts, Golem and Arald. Along with Goldmark’s Königin von Saba. Late romantic schmaltz that was the forebear of cinematic scoring. How about you?

Closure of venues and more time at home has given us access to streamed concerts, recitals, and full operas. I’m loving it, even for one-off enjoyment. But the range of literature stays mostly within standard repertoire.

Who’s digging into their neglected trove of collected recordings, and what is recapturing your imagination all over again? (My collection including vinyl goes back half a century...but is mostly CD)

For me, Nicolae Bretan’s 1-acts, Golem and Arald. Along with Goldmark’s Königin von Saba. Late romantic schmaltz that was the forebear of cinematic scoring. How about you?

Enjoyed Die Fledermaus last week. In the mood for more Strauss - will see what I can dig up. I also received some Andre Rieu DVDs a few years ago - those may be worth watching too! He does put on quite a show! ?

• 3 weeks later...

Gluck

Orphee et Eurydice

Madrid

Juan Diego Florez

My first hearing of Che Faro was with a tenor, and I’ve always loved mezzos more. JDF is an excellent artist with a beautiful voice.

I’ve seen him in person, at short distance, and if I simultaneously picture him in nothing but a short tunic and a lyre I may become a convert!