Which store-bought hand sanitizer to use?

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 1395 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Purell is my go-to hand sanitizer and has been for years. Of course, it's now impossible to find it at the stores as they are prioritizing deliveries for medical usage (completely understandable). Given the warnings about some of the recently produced sanitizers being of questionable effectiveness/safety, does anyone have any recommendations on legitimate store-bought alternatives to Purell? The sanitizers I find at the store are brands I don't recognize and are often in odd packaging (vodka shaped bottles). I don't know which is on the up-and up.

I'm aware of people making their own sanitizer at home but at this point I'm interested in finding good store-bought options. Any help would be appreciated.

Purell is my go-to hand sanitizer and has been for years. Of course, it's now impossible to find it at the stores as they are prioritizing deliveries for medical usage (completely understandable). Given the warnings about some of the recently produced sanitizers being of questionable effectiveness/safety, does anyone have any recommendations on legitimate store-bought alternatives to Purell? The sanitizers I find at the store are brands I don't recognize and are often in odd packaging (vodka shaped bottles). I don't know which is on the up-and up.

I'm aware of people making their own sanitizer at home but at this point I'm interested in finding good store-bought options. Any help would be appreciated.

I pondered the same question for a while. Looked over the list of brands the FDA warned about too. I noticed that almost all of those on the list came from Mexico.

This is going to sound xenophobic but that is not my intention; simply going by the facts: find something manufactured in the USA or Canada. That is the safest bet at this time.

I found a hand sanitizer gel at Rite Aid manufactered in the USA by Bajaj Medical.

As I understand the situation from news reports, the problem with certain Mexican-made sanitizers was that their active ingredient was methanol, which is toxic when absorbed. The usual active ingredient for safe hand sanitizers is isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol.

This next bit I learned from the CDC website: if the active ingredient is isopropyl alcohol, then it should be at least 70% of the product by volume; if it is ethyl alcohol, it should be at least 60%. So, in theory, the ingredient list should tell the tale of what is safe and effective and what is not.

Germ-X is another reputable brand that has been around for a while and, at least in my neck of the woods, has been easier to find in stores than Purell.

Germ-X is another reputable brand that has been around for a while and, at least in my neck of the woods, has been easier to find in stores than Purell.

Germ-X is an excellent choice. The other option would be Suave - they have a sanitizer spray that is also well regarded. If you can't find a gel, maybe this mist spray will be a good alternative. :)

I think (??) washing hands with soap and water for the recommended 20-25 seconds is more thorough than hand sanitizers....I may be wrong, but cynical me fears many are prioritizing hand sanitizers simply because it's quicker and easier......

I think (??) washing hands with soap and water for the recommended 20-25 seconds is more thorough than hand sanitizers....I may be wrong, but cynical me fears many are prioritizing hand sanitizers simply because it's quicker and easier......

A useful caution is that hand washing with soap and water is an alternative to using a sanitiser. Don't fret on whether the hand sanitiser you use is 'safe', practise safer hand hygiene whatever it looks like.

Hand washing isnt always an option. When I use the subway (which is almost every day) I use hand sanitizer when I exit the station - who knows how many grubby hands grabbed on to the same pole I had to hold on to? It serves a purpose even when it is not the best solution... ?

Hand washing isnt always an option. When I use the subway (which is almost every day) I use hand sanitizer when I exit the station - who knows how many grubby hands grabbed on to the same pole I had to hold on to? It serves a purpose even when it is not the best solution... ?

Even pre-coronacrisis I used hand sanitizing wipes to clean my hands. Also used them to clean surfaces in my car. Recently, I bought these alcohol wipes at Staples for $2.99/50-count package. That is less than half what I paid on Amazon and slightly less costly than the ones I bought at Safeway and CVS pre-crisis. The thing about wipes is they also clean dirt off your hands. Then, you can use a second wipe or a spritz of sanitizer (see below) to sanitize your now-clean hands. I keep a pack in my office to wipe down my keyboard and phone and one by the front door to wipe down the door handle, my keys, etc.

I recently bought alcohol-based hand sanitizer spray at Trader Joe's. The "citrus" scent isn't very cirtusy, but it isn't sticky like gel sanitizers. Bashas' (local AZ chain) also has a 70% ethyl alcohol sanitizer spray and I like it better than the one sold at TJ's. It contains some ginger oil, which lessens the chemical scent of the alcohol. Ethyl alcohol is the active ingredient in Purell and other hand sanitizers.