Any Successfully Converted Vegans / Vegetarians ?

orville
This topic is 1355 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you're right. Carnivores are an integral part of our ecosystems....

361c3b4d05926681b1eb5171690b5709.jpg

The difficult 'double non-sequitur'.

Getting back to the topic of a vegan diet. Legumes have almost complete proteins. Including beans and peas in your diet is a good base, and they are very adaptable to many different cuisines from soup to falafels.

If you are doing this for health reasons, be very careful. Those meat-substitute patties (incredible burger and so on) are chock-full of saturated fats and worse than red meat. Some of the other vegan patties such as boca burgers are healthful. I do sometimes eat the boca patties as sandwiches for lunch. But if it tastes like meat, it's probably because it has a large amount of saturated fat, so you lose the health benefit.

Thanks for the recommendation! I took a first step yesterday to reduce my meat intake this week and got this from 1 store. It has 1g (2%) Fat and 35% nutritional requirements of B12. I forgot to buy a B12 supplement though.

width=495pxhttps://assets.shop.loblaws.ca/products_jpeg/20089678/en/20089678_lrg_2_@1x.jpg[/img]width=214pxhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/4peZQX8LU2ulJVhOfBNnjrRm830Akbxkcm_Dk7u_0UaC9QQ7sdz7dtIpzKxgR-NWaVo8q5PHPkpUAcx2XPV-mefjbWddyqjJYnCIWlLNlA[/img]

Thanks for the recommendation! I took a first step yesterday to reduce my meat intake this week and got this from 1 store. It has 1g (2%) Fat and 35% nutritional requirements of B12. I forgot to buy a B12 supplement though.

width=495pxhttps://assets.shop.loblaws.ca/products_jpeg/20089678/en/20089678_lrg_2_@1x.jpg[/img]width=214pxhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/4peZQX8LU2ulJVhOfBNnjrRm830Akbxkcm_Dk7u_0UaC9QQ7sdz7dtIpzKxgR-NWaVo8q5PHPkpUAcx2XPV-mefjbWddyqjJYnCIWlLNlA[/img]

Why are plant based faux meats always so high in sodium? The portion size listed is unreasonable small for most people, I think, so doubling is in order. All of the other numbers are good but over 500 mg of sodium for just the "meat" portion of your meal makes this quite the salt bomb.

Why are plant based faux meats always so high in sodium? The portion size listed is unreasonable small for most people, I think, so doubling is in order. All of the other numbers are good but over 500 mg of sodium for just the "meat" portion of your meal makes this quite the salt bomb.

“healthy choice” branded lunch meats etc guilty of same. Low fat, low calories, high sodium.

More for you! Same story about the wolves but a video

Hey @marylander1940 I just finished watching the video.

It was amazing, thank you so much! This is why I love this forum: Hot Guys + Food for Thought.

This example with the wolves is another proof that EVERYTHING is fu*king INTERCONNECTED!

No wonder why Native North Americans (the real ones) considered them divinities.

This is also proof that humans are also capable of doing good. I just wish it showed more often.

Yes, they are but if you drink plenty of water and don't eat too many of them might not have a big effect.

Personally I don't care about sodium or cholesterol and I just avoid eating bad carbs.

Hey @marylander1940 I just finished watching the video.

It was amazing, thank you so much! This is why I love this forum: Hot Guys + Food for Thought.

This example with the wolves is another proof that EVERYTHING is fu*king INTERCONNECTED!

No wonder why Native North Americans (the real ones) considered them divinities.

This is also proof that humans are also capable of doing good. I wish it showed more often.

It's good for students of all ages! ;) I was reminded of that video recently because of a comment made by @WilliamM

Here's another example of their wise culture: When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it; the deer hears it, and the bear smells it.

You find the portions small? I find them too large, particularly with the ground round. I've got spaghetti sauce for days with one package.

Lol. That made me laugh.

Well, I don't know but I just had to add butter, chicken seasoning, salt, pepper, chilli powder, cumin, and tomato paste in probably greater amounts than if I was using meat, cause I needed to feel the flavour. For you might be easier since you've been for longer without tasting meat.

You find the portions small? I find them too large, particularly with the ground round. I've got spaghetti sauce for days with one package.

I'm having exactly the same - 2 packs.

I might go easily through it in 3 days.

I might as well be larger than you.

width=222pxhttps://media1.giphy.com/media/z5XqADIr92Dw4/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4753xz28fq1tqxw5dc0r3q11y4dp1h6setlncv54ej&rid=giphy.gif[/img]

Well, I don't know but I just had to add butter, chicken seasoning, salt, pepper, chilli powder, cumin, and tomato paste in probably greater amounts than if I was using meat, cause I needed to feel the flavour. For you might be easier since you've been for longer without tasting meat.

Meat and fat is very flavourful. I sometimes add a vegetable or mushroom bullion cube to soups to up the flavour a bit. I don't add salt to anything I cook for the most part. More chili sauces, or garlic/onions.

Did you look at the product label I quoted? A 55 gram serving (slightly under 2 ounces)? I wasn't referring to the entire package as I doubt anyone would eat all of it at once just like someone isn't likely to eat an entire package of ground beef in one sitting.

Did you look at the product label I quoted? A 55 gram serving (slightly under 2 ounces)? I wasn't referring to the entire package as I doubt anyone would eat all of it at once just like someone isn't likely to eat an entire package of ground beef in one sitting.

Your message was under a photo of ground veggie round, with four packets that were 312 grams each. For me that is a lot - days of a lot. If there was something else you were referring to, that listed a 55 gram serving, I didn't see it connected to your post. Four ounces of protein (fish or whatever) has always been more than enough for me at any one meal. I'm not a big guy though, 5'11" and 170 (though I should be 5-10 pounds less).

Your message was under a photo of ground veggie round, with four packets that were 312 grams each. For me that is a lot - days of a lot. If there was something else you were referring to, that listed a 55 gram serving, I didn't see it connected to your post. Four ounces of protein (fish or whatever) has always been more than enough for me at any one meal. I'm not a big guy though, 5'11" and 170 (though I should be 5-10 pounds less).

When I quoted the post there were two images. The second one just appears as a blank box now. That's the one that had the per serving nutrition information for a 55 gram serving.