Are You Getting Massages?

RandyVue
This topic is 1383 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know a couple of us on here on bombarding the rest of you with SCIENCE and REASON!... somehow conversations about molecular biology rarely helped me get a hot guy into bed back in the 1990s.

Published today in the New England Journal of Medicine, Ibarrondo et al. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2025179?query=featured_home

"Our findings raise concern that humoral immunity against SARS-CoV-2 may not be long lasting in persons with mild illness, who compose the majority of persons with Covid-19. It is difficult to extrapolate beyond our observation period of approximately 90 days because it is likely that the decay will decelerate.3 Still, the results call for caution regarding antibody-based “immunity passports,” herd immunity, and perhaps vaccine durability, especially in light of short-lived immunity against common human coronaviruses. Further studies will be needed to define a quantitative protection threshold and rate of decline of antiviral antibodies beyond 90 days."

This does not bode well for protective/prophylactic immunity, at least from the antibody ("humoral") response that may result from vaccines or previous infections. A "memory response" may reduce the severity of disease but not prevent infection and onset of symptoms. Longevity of T-cell responses probably won't be any better, IMO.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For people under 60, the flu is more deadly then COVID. That’s a fact backed up by data from the CDC. So yes, I continue to get massages. It’s up to everyone individually to weigh the risks and as I see it, for my age and current level of health, it’s extremely low risk. Sorry but not sorry if that’s not a popular opinion here but I look at the actual data, not fear mongering headlines by the mainstream media

For people under 60, the flu is more deadly then COVID. That’s a fact backed up by data from the CDC. So yes, I continue to get massages. It’s up to everyone individually to weigh the risks and as I see it, for my age and current level of health, it’s extremely low risk. Sorry but not sorry if that’s not a popular opinion here but I look at the actual data, not fear mongering headlines by the mainstream media

Please provide a link to the “CDC data” you are referring to - this is not consistent with the data I am looking at. Based on the data in the link below (which is CDC data, btw) you are simply wrong. Data as of June indicates COVID is 2 or 3 times as deadly as influenza, depending on age group for those under 60. I am providing my source - I challenge you to do the same.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-rate-us-compared-to-flu-by-age-2020-6

5ef234caf34d051bc821d0d8?width=600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Edited by FrankR

Still "no" for me.

Infection rates climbing here.

One of my reliable providers threw in the towel this week. Sad times.

I just reached out to my main provider, as his ad came down. He told me that he officially retired. While I have seen others over the years, he was my first, and the best of them all, IMHO. I will miss him! :-(

Sorry, bud- but that attitude is part of the problem. While YOUR outcome may be OK, what about the various sundry people you spread it to? What about the mom with kids you infect at the grocery store? What about your own parents or grandparents? What about your best friend? Sure- you may only get sick, others will die and that will be directly caused by your behavior and laissez-faire attitude.

Grow the fuck up.

I wish it was fear mongering, but it isn't.

Even if certain flu strains are more lethal than covid, that is just one part of the data we need to consider. It does not suggest that covid is less dangerous overall. Keep in mind that many people who survive covid have long-lasting and serious consequences. How often does treating the flu require ventillator intervention, amputation, paralysis rehabilitation, et cetera? Many who survive covid are not only physically compromised afterwards, but also seriously traumatized.

The scientific understanding about covid is continuing to evolve, but nothing I have seen suggests it should be taken lightly. In the very off chance that the majority of the scientific community is wrong about covid, protecting ourselves and others at this time by avoiding massage and other unnecessary social interaction is little more than an inconvenience for most people. But given that the scientific understanding is much more likely to be correct, protecting ourselves and others by avoiding massage and unnecessary social interaction will undoubtedly save lives and help bring an end to the pandemic.

If one has had COVID and survived, you are fortunate, but you can't assume long-term immunity. We just don't know enough about antibodies for this virus. As a non-physician, it seems to me that the disease may well have left you in a medically compromised position, and may INCREASE your susceptibility to a recurrence, rather than decrease it.

Have your lungs been damaged? Has your clotting mechanism been damaged? I have read that this may be a vascular disease, not a pulmonary disease.

There is SO much we don't know, and we should all be very careful, especially the elderly (I'm 82), those who may be taking immunosuppressive drugs, those with diabetes, asthma, and other diseases, and even those who have recovered from a recent coronavirus infection.