Would you avoid buying a house where someone was murdered?

This topic is 1401 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I would never EVER purchase a home that someone had been murdered in, or even died in (assuming it was disclosed, and yes, I always ask!) HUGE creep factor for me. I was once looking at a large historic home that about half way thru the showing, the realtor disclosed used to be a funeral home prior to being returned to a private residence. Let's just say the tour ended there. LOL

On a related note, I'm morbidly curious about Jeffrey Epstein's NYC mansion. Said to be one of the largest private residences in NYC and valued around $50,000,000. Notoriety aside, I would never purchase such a home - bad karma.

Only 50M for a townhouse that large in that location? Silly condos go for $20M.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today my real estate agent showed me a house and told me that she had to disclose that someone had been murdered there a few months prior. She said it would bother a lot of people. Didn't bother me. How common do you think this discomfort would be? Would you move on from buying such a house? Great for me if it brings down the price, I suppose....

2015 Washington, D.C., quadruple murder incident

(from the article) After almost two years, the five-bedroom, six-bathroom house was demolished. Located in the neighborhood near the National Cathedral, the property was once valued at $4.5 million but sold months after the killings for just $3 million.

I guess you're not alone in having issues buying a place where someone was murdered, in this case almost an entire family.

I've lived in at least three places that were 100+ years old. In one, a possible ghost was disclosed by the handyman (not the landlord) on the day I moved. In over 300 years, who knows what might have gone on in any of the buildings. Unless the walls were bleeding and my stuff was flying around the room, it would not bother me.

It depends. If it was the site of a murder a century ago, even 50 years ago, it's fine. At that point, the only thing I would hear are stories of people who say that the house is haunted.

Were the murder be more contemporary, then no.