LGBTQI+ When Did This Happen?

Lucky
This topic is 1422 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think queer is fine to let one know that the person falls under a particular umbrella but gay, lesbian, etc. generally lets me know whether it is a male queer and on. I thought that this was a short overview of the word "queer". It is a few years old (2016) but you can't have everything.

https://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/32213/1/tracing-the-history-of-the-word-queer

I'm not in favor of the alphabet soup mumble jumble. LGBTQ is more than enough. Just like I'm not in favor of making the pride flag about race. The meaning of the different colors was never about race in their meanings. Oh another one that gets me is Latinx. Latinx is supposed to be all inclusive but its only the stupid Americans that really use the term. People are getting absolutely stupid with this shit. I can't wait to get my hacienda full of cats in remote Mexico and be far far away from people and their stupidity.

Hugs,

Greg

The rainbow pride flag has appeared in many forms and versions over the years since Gilbert Baker created it in 1978. His original design had two colors, pink and turquoise, that he removed because they pink was too expensive to mass produce. I've known people of color who were LGBTQ who said they felt invisible in "gay culture." Even the original black trans and poor protestors who helped start the modern gay rights movement at Stonewall have largely been glossed over until now. Shouldn't they feel welcome in the movement they started? Since the flag has been heavily modified over the decades, why not make it more inclusive? In this historic time when the historical contributions of black trans Americans are finally being seen, they deserve visibility on the flag of the movement they helped start.

The rainbow pride flag has appeared in many forms and versions over the years since Gilbert Baker created it in 1978. His original design had two colors, pink and turquoise, that he removed because they pink was too expensive to mass produce. I've known people of color who were LGBTQ who said they felt invisible in "gay culture." Even the original black trans and poor protestors who helped start the modern gay rights movement at Stonewall have largely been glossed over until now. Shouldn't they feel welcome in the movement they started? Since the flag has been heavily modified over the decades, why not make it more inclusive? In this historic time when the historical contributions of black trans Americans are finally being seen, they deserve visibility on the flag of the movement they helped start.

Of course the poc trans people should be celebrated for what they started and accomplished but making the flag about race when that wasn't it's intention is stupid. Put a statues, properly recording the remarkable accomplishments that the poc trans and non trans in history books would do more to highlight them that adding a brown and black stripe on a flag.

The og pride flag was never about race https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_symbols#Rainbow

Hugs,

Greg

I am fairly ignorant about the flag's history and the meaning of the color's in the stripes. I always thought that the each stripe did not represent a particular queer group or that each color meant a color like white, black, Asian, etc. but rather that all the colors showed the expansiveness and inclusivity of the queer community. I look at it like that.

My Latino best friend (gay) has told me that Latinx makes no sense to a native speaker of Spanish.

Variant opinions, Latino/a friends of mine use it all the time.

I'm ambivalent, it's not my issue. Just tell me what you want to be called and I will use that, I don't need to get worked up about someone else's identity.

My Latino best friend (gay) has told me that Latinx makes no sense to a native speaker of Spanish.

The term is awkward in speech but serves a purpose in print (whether it's a necessary purpose is a separate question).

Aside from that, once a word has moved into English (or a new word created in English based on a word in another language) the rules of the original language no longer have to apply. In some cases they stick, but in others the word is completely assimilated. (Replacing a foreign gender suffix with an x to indicate unknown isn't an English grammatical standard either but an English speaker can see what it's trying to do, and the word is trying to communicate to others in English text, not Spanish.) Transitions of words into English take time and can also happen differently in different regional versions of English. For example Americans do not pronounce the h in 'herb' whereas Australians do. (The Oxford tells me that the US usage was standard in English until the 19th century.)

The overriding principle of language is mutually intelligible convention. Words have etymologies and histories, and they show us how convention has changed across cultures and time. But the artificial introduction of meaning, particularly on the macro-cultural level, doesn’t often succeed. People simply don’t make a conscious effort to say, “This means this.” Instead, people who understand each other efficiently continue to use, by unspoken convention, that which works best. A good example could be the rise of the third person plural pronoun coming to conventionally be acceptable for a third person indefinite pronoun antecedent referring to persons. At the end of the day, unless the usage is mutually intelligible and conventionally accepted that usage won’t stand the test of time – orthographically, grammatically, syntactically, etc.