The Last Execution For Sodomy In England....

azdr0710
This topic is 1433 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

People protested and forced the laws to be changed.

Interesting that the last execution for sodomy was 1835 - still horrendous, but I would have expected it to be later in the 19th century. The 1830s seemed to be a period of social change, after the death of George III in 1820, followed by George IV and William IV before Victoria ascended in 1837. I think Britain abolished the slave trade around that time too... like 1833 or 1834.

Interesting that the last execution for sodomy was 1835 - still horrendous, but I would have expected it to be later in the 19th century. The 1830s seemed to be a period of social change, after the death of George III in 1820, followed by George IV and William IV before Victoria ascended in 1837. I think Britain abolished the slave trade around that time too... like 1833 or 1834.

I don't know when slavery was abolished by Britain, the slave trade was abolished in 1807, but slavery continued past that.

Interesting that the last execution for sodomy was 1835 - still horrendous, but I would have expected it to be later in the 19th century.

I would have expected executions for sodomy to have continued longer also. Looking up dates, Oscar Wilde was imprisoned for sodomy in 1895. Then there was Alan Turing, prosecuted for being a homo in 1952 and undergoing chemical castration to avoid jail. I guess it was "progress" that the executions stopped in 1835, but gross injustice continued for well over another century.

I had researched that case years ago and what I remember is there was no credible witness, just the tavern owner's wife that claimed she could see what was going on through a key hole. That particular day of the hanging, all those that were condemned to die were pardoned by the mercy of the judge, all except Pratt and Smith. Their crime was too great.

One of the two had a wife and kids. These men believed that they deserved their outcome, that Church and Crown were right to punish them for their terrible crime, and repented their sinful acts, hoping to be spared hellfire. The gentleman that lent them the room was also convicted. His punishment was exile to Australia.

To me it is no surprise knowing how strongly the Brits were against sodomy that hatred of gays was spread across their empire, and remains a legacy of their rule in places like India where homosexuality remained punishable until recently I believe, and is still a crime in many other countries. In the Colonies is was Thomas Jefferson that proposed the English Law practice of execution for sodomy was too severe, that cutting their nutz off was punishment enough.

Edited by E.T.Bass