What's With This Sink?

Gar1eth
This topic is 1434 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

GettyImages-663753784-5a85d07a3de4230037e6695b.jpg

This kitchen sink is very close to the one where I live. The main difference being the faucet on mine is situated to the right. But it is a combined faucet-sprayer. So the faucet can be pulled down and over to the left. Also the left side may be a bit wider and deeper at my domicile.

But I don't really understand this sink. For one thing the left side is too shallow and too narrow. For another thing-and as the disposal is on the left-I'm assuming the thought is that you'll just scrape the food off into the left side and do the washing and rinsing on the right. But I'm right-handed as are the majority of people. I prefer holding the dish in my left hand and then holding whatever instrument I'm using to scrape the dish in my right hand where I have better fine motor control. That means I have to stand way to the left of the sink to get my right hand in position to scrape food off into the left hand sink. And the left hand side of the sink is small. So I can easily miss it.

Am I doing something wrong or was this sink designed for a lefty?

Oh and to get the hottest water you have to turn on the faucet full force which causes the water to splash everywhere when it hits a dish.

I really hate this sink!!!???

Gman

this sink type is not uncommon, but I've never had one quite like this......

first, the faucet in the picture is in that position so it can be rotated between either sink for use......as opposed to the faucet you have, you said, which you said is well to the right......

I do wonder why the disposal is in the small sink rather than the large one, as you said it is.....I would've guessed the small sink is primarily for washing vegetables/fruit and the large sink is for dish washing and, thus, would have the disposal.....

GettyImages-663753784-5a85d07a3de4230037e6695b.jpg

This kitchen sink is very close to the one where I live. The main difference being the faucet on mine is situated to the right. But it is a combined faucet-sprayer. So the faucet can be pulled down and over to the left. Also the left side may be a bit wider and deeper at my domicile.

But I don't really understand this sink. For one thing the left side is too shallow and too narrow. For another thing-and as the disposal is on the left-I'm assuming the thought is that you'll just scrape the food off into the left side and do the washing and rinsing on the right. But I'm right-handed as are the majority of people. I prefer holding the dish in my left hand and then holding whatever instrument I'm using to scrape the dish in my right hand where I have better fine motor control. That means I have to stand way to the left of the sink to get my right hand in position to scrape food off into the left hand sink. And the left hand side of the sink is small. So I can easily miss it.

Am I doing something wrong or was this sink designed for a lefty?

Oh and to get the hottest water you have to turn on the faucet full force which causes the water to splash everywhere when it hits a dish.

I really hate this sink!!!???

Gman

Where I live the 'disposal' is no longer a thing, in favour of composting/green bin collected by the City

this sink type is not uncommon, but I've never had one quite like this......

first, the faucet in the picture is in that position so it can be rotated between either sink for use......as opposed to the faucet you have, you said, which you said is well to the right......

Yes, but since ours combines a sprayer it can be pulled down and easily over. And even without the sprayer function, the faucet is tall enough and can be turned to the left so that it gets into the left hand side of the sink easily.

The left sink is for vegetable washing and peeling, etc

Yes but as a right hander, I'd still want a more even division-because washing and peeling into a small left-sided sink still puts my body far to the left to accommodate my right hand.

The photo may be printed backwards which would explain the left hand-right hand issues.

Well it could be. But don't forget-this is the same position my sink is in too although our left sink is larger.

IMG_0565.jpg?raw=1

IMG_0567.jpg?raw=1

Where I live the 'disposal' is no longer a thing, in favour of composting/green bin collected by the City

Ugh!! I hate that too. The owner here hates to use the disposal for some reason. I doubt it's to help with composting as there's no compost pile. I've lived in a lot of places without disposals. I prefer disposals.it just makes a mess trying to clear out the strainers all the time. Plus with the small sink not being that usable-inadvertently washing you would do in a normal sized sink gets accidentally done in the one on the right-the one without a disposal. In the year I've lived here, it's gotten stopped up at least twice. At previous homes with both sides of the sink normal sized and a working disposal, I remember very few stop ups.

And let's also not forget the stupid faucet where you can't get complete hot water without turning it on full force. ??

Gman

Ugh!! I hate that too. The owner here hates to use the disposal for some reason. I doubt it's to help with composting as there's no compost pile. I've lived in a lot of places without disposals. I prefer disposals.it just makes a mess trying to clear out the strainers all the time. Plus with the small sink not being that usable-inadvertently washing you would do in a normal sized sink gets accidentally done in the one on the right-the one without a disposal. In the year I've lived here, it's gotten stopped up at least twice. At previous homes with both sides of the sink normal sized and a working disposal, I remember very few stop ups.

And let's also not forget the stupid faucet where you can't get complete hot water without turning it on full force. ??

Gman

Here disposals are basically banned, you can't get them installed with new construction. All green waste has been diverted to the City's composting/green waste system, and it all gets put in your green bin and collected by the City recycling trucks weekly.

Edited by RealAvalon

Yes, but since ours combines a sprayer it can be pulled down and easily over. And even without the sprayer function, the faucet is tall enough and can be turned to the left so that it gets into the left hand side of the sink easily.

Yes but as a right hander, I'd still want a more even division-because washing and peeling into a small left-sided sink still puts my body far to the left to accommodate my right hand.

Well it could be. But don't forget-this is the same position my sink is in too although our left sink is larger.

IMG_0565.jpg?raw=1

IMG_0567.jpg?raw=1

Gman

Disposals are basically banned, you can't get them installed with new construction. All green waste has be diverted to the City's composting/green waste system, and it all get put in your green bin and collected by the City recycling trucks weekly.

May I safely assume you're somewhere in California?

Gman

D'oh! I didn't google it, just thought, 'That's odd,' Now I know how far north of the 'rest' of Hollywood, it makes sense!

(Green bins are a thing here, although not everywhere. Most places, including Canberra, they are only for garden waste, although some local councils want you to use them for all food scraps, including meat. In sink disposal machines have never been common here.)

May I safely assume you're somewhere in California?

Gman

Hollywood North

Gman, did you know what that meant or did you have to google it? :)

~Boomer~

I'm not sure I'm understanding. I just assumed it was the northern part of Hollywood. If there is a more esoteric meaning, it totally escaped me.

So I see it is a euphemism for Canada. California/Canada-same thing.

Gman

A close friend has a sink with the little sink in between two full size sinks. Of course, the disposal is in the small sink. I have forgotten that so many times, he installed a second disposal in the right large sink just for me. Heaven!

I'm not sure I'm understanding. I just assumed it was the northern part of Hollywood. If there is a more esoteric meaning, it totally escaped me.

So I see it is a euphemism for Canada. California/Canada-same thing.

Gman

Hollywood North is a colloquialism used to describe film production industries and/or film locations north of its namesake, Hollywood, CA. The term has been applied principally to the film industry in Canada, specifically to the areas of Toronto & Vancouver.

And yes, @RealAvalon lives in Canada.

~Boomer~

D'oh! I didn't google it, just thought, 'That's odd,' Now I know how far north of the 'rest' of Hollywood, it makes sense!

(Green bins are a thing here, although not everywhere. Most places, including Canberra, they are only for garden waste, although some local councils want you to use them for all food scraps, including meat. In sink disposal machines have never been common here.)

Expect an increase in the rat population if they do, which the eagles, cooper's hawks, coyotes and raccoons (or whatever you have) will not take care of completely.

Expect an increase in the rat population if they do, which the eagles, cooper's hawks, coyotes and raccoons (or whatever you have) will not take care of completely.

The places I've seen reported on use industrial-scale composting operations to process the green/food waste. That would probably reduce, but perhaps not eliminate a rat problem. (And here, birds of prey, snakes, foxes and small marsupial predators anywhere near larger cities.)