Donating Blood

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 1451 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Today I had my quarterly checkup to continue my Truvada prescription. As part of the check up I was asked about my sexual activity since my last check up. Since I've been under stay at home orders for over two months, it was a short conversation. After finishing my background, my physician pointed out that by the end of this week, I will have passed 90 days since my last sexual partner and asked if I had considered donating blood as I would be eligible.

I hadn't given it any thoughts. For years, before I was enjoying same sex encounters, I was a regular donor. Haven't decided what I will do yet, but just might make an appointment to donate next week.

Has anyone else taken the opportunity to donate due to extended abstinence?

I'm going to be 100% honest with you.. if you so much as say you have M4M sex.. regardless of how long ago it was 3 months 12 months 2 years.. chances are they will not let you donate.. most of the companies abide by some very strict archaic rules and M4M sex is an automatic permanent deferral.

I know because i work for one of those companies.

A lot of them haven't updated the questionnaire to the new 3-month thing and still say 12-months. But frankly given the new FDA guidance I would feel comfortable lying and saying it had been 12 if it actually had been 3 months.

A lot of them haven't updated the questionnaire to the new 3-month thing and still say 12-months. But frankly given the new FDA guidance I would feel comfortable lying and saying it had been 12 if it actually had been 3 months.

I recommend not distorting your history because there is strong ongoing gay advocacy. Better to challenge than lie. I believe some of the activism results have been quick in relation to convalescent plasma donation.

Here, the Red Cross runs the blood donation program and sets the rules about who can donate. If you meet the rules you can give blood, no other agencies have any say in it. I haven't tried, although my last 'illicit' contact was in January. I make no comment about TB.

Here, the Red Cross runs the blood donation program and sets the rules about who can donate. If you meet the rules you can give blood, no other agencies have any say in it. I haven't tried, although my last 'illicit' contact was in January. I make no comment about TB.

blood and plasma companies also receive accreditation from various agencies. If those agencies say m4m sex is a a permanent deferral regardless of abstaining from m4m sex for 12 months/3 months etc, you'd better believe that they will follow what the accreditation agencies say versus the FDA. that is why the rules and paperwork/documents etc are so far behind. Those accreditation certificates are worth money because of the "quality"of the product you are getting.