The blanket flagging of certain words.

Smurof
This topic is 1524 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This happened to me today, but not on this forum. I was told a message of mine was not able to be sent because the word "young" was in my text. Seriously. I can see using a sexual word in a message to be rejected, but this is taking p.c. way too far (political correctness, for those who hate abbreviations like I usually do).

On that same forum, I had rimjob rejected, only to be accepted when I separated the two words! Suddenly I must have been having a conversation about my car instead? Truth be told : I wasn't.

This happened to me today, but not on this forum. I was told a message of mine was not able to be sent because the word "young" was in my text. Seriously. I can see using a sexual word in a message to be rejected, but this is taking p.c. way too far (political correctness, for those who hate abbreviations like I usually do).

On that same forum, I had rimjob rejected, only to be accepted when I separated the two words! Suddenly I must have been having a conversation about my car instead? Truth be told : I wasn't.

What you described is not political correctness, which is defined as:

"the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against. "

It is censorship of terms that could be construed as referring to an illegal or illicit activity. I can't imagine how "rimjob" could be construed as being illegal or illicit. I could see how "young" could be flagged, depending on the context in which it was used.

Not quite on topic, but 'trigger words', for lack of a better term, make me laugh. Words that sound like another word that means something completely different.

• Some government official was chastised for using "niggardly" (meaning cheap/miserly).
  • Another used "pedagogical" (pertaining to teaching) in an education report.