Vintage men

4454433bf03d8d092762b570d37a1efe1ddf2790.jpg

Gay Men in Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia 1953

Lesbians, gay men, and transgender people have always found ways to appropriate public spaces for themselves. Rittenhouse Square has been a meeting place for “queers” at least since the 1930s. In the 1950s and 1960s, the square was known as a place where gay men and lesbians coming into the city could meet others who would introduce them to the extensive urban homosexual “underground.” The tradition continued through the 1970s, when Philadelphia’s first gay pride parades began with a rally in Rittenhouse Square.

(Info and photo found and forwarded. I personally haven't verified this historical data.)

4454433bf03d8d092762b570d37a1efe1ddf2790.jpg

Gay Men in Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia 1953

Lesbians, gay men, and transgender people have always found ways to appropriate public spaces for themselves. Rittenhouse Square has been a meeting place for “queers” at least since the 1930s. In the 1950s and 1960s, the square was known as a place where gay men and lesbians coming into the city could meet others who would introduce them to the extensive urban homosexual “underground.” The tradition continued through the 1970s, when Philadelphia’s first gay pride parades began with a rally in Rittenhouse Square.

(Info and photo found and forwarded. I personally haven't verified this historical data.)

I know the couple on the right!!