Prepared meals cottage industry

FrankR
This topic is 1540 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

HelloFresh is not fully prepared meals but rather the proportioned ingredients you use in following a basic, well-designed recipe sheet. It’s super convenient and the quality of fresh ingredients like tomatoes is pretty good. It’s not cheap but it does save time and hassle... and can prepare some dishes you’d probably never otherwise prepare.

Along with all the fitness influencers on Instagram arrived a ‘cottage industry’ of prepared meals. They advertise all over - Factor is one, Freshly is another. Mostly seems like overpriced TV dinners to me.

Anyone try then and recommend?

Yes! These are not like Blue Apron meal kits or HelloFresh, they are fully prepared meals. Remember Nutrisystem? Lol

Portion sizes appear small to me given the price (from $10 to $15 a serving). I tried to find reviews online, but here are so many of them, as you pointed out, tough to find someone who has tested them all! ?

Dan Marino- where are you??? ?

Guest LeonTrotsky

I can tell you from first hand experience that the two I tried-- factor 75 and kettlebell-- were less than generous in the flavor department

i recommend freshly, but they probably aren't right for you if you follow a very specific diet like Keto. And need to watch the salt if you care as I don't think they really focus on that. But for decent tasting balanced meals they are good. Just finished a Freshly Sierra Chicken bowl for lunch actually.

If you DM me, will send over a code.

HelloFresh is not fully prepared meals but rather the proportioned ingredients you use in following a basic, well-designed recipe sheet. It’s super convenient and the quality of fresh ingredients like tomatoes is pretty good. It’s not cheap but it does save time and hassle... and can prepare some dishes you’d probably never otherwise prepare.

I also liked it. For me, besides being rather tasty and being able to get different types of diets (like lower calorie) the portions were such that once I cooked a meal I could keep the left overs as another meal.

My x-fit box a few blocks away works with a paleo kitchen. When I’m in town, I order their premade meals and pick them up at the gym on Sunday, where they’re stored in a huge fridge. The meals are generally very good. One of my favorites is the grilled turkey burger with spiced sweet potato wedges. The most expensive meal is $8.95, so a little over $100/week for lunches and dinners, plus a few ground turkey skillets that I plop two large free-range poached eggs on.

When I’m at my summer place I make salads for lunch. The base is fresh local spinach and kale. Then I slice up a shallot, a few Greek kalamata olives in water (Trader Joe’s), a handful of walnuts and a few ounces of chopped Boars Head chipotle chicken. I always chop the greens first. Then I add balsamic glaze and the best cold-pressed EVOO that I can find and toss! Variations include grilled chicken, tuna fish or leftover salmon. Takes under 10 minutes to prepare.

Guest LeonTrotsky
Taste wise, how does Factor compare to Freshly?

Have never done freshly but I found factor borderline inedible... (wonder if it's an Asian thing though... the whole cauliflower faux rice thing doesn't make me happy!)

My husband and I have been subscribers for 3 or more years. Its a real pleasure to have restaurant-quality meals several times a week. We suspended our subscription for several months last year while I was on a very restricted contest-prep diet. It was really great to start it up again. The one thing about HelloFresh that irks me is that you have to be conscientious about selecting meals every week. They repeat the default selection pretty frequently and it gets a little boring.

Along with all the fitness influencers on Instagram arrived a ‘cottage industry’ of prepared meals. They advertise all over - Factor is one, Freshly is another. Mostly seems like overpriced TV dinners to me.

Anyone try then and recommend?

I ordered a week's meals from Factor, but when I realized it was all low-carb, I cancelled. I follow a high-carb bodybuilding diet.

Are these frozen food? Or fresh made and stays in the fridge a few days at most?

Depends on which provider you are asking about. I believe Nutrisystem sends you meals for a month, so it must be frozen. The others like Factor sends you meals a week at a time, so likely goes into the fridge.

Taste wise, how does Factor compare to Freshly?

I like Factor better. I was on Freshly for years before the switch.

Factor has a more appealing menu for a wider variety of diets as well.

My only issue with Factor is their lack of app for menu changes. Freshly is the industry leader for an easy-to-use, convenient app.

Depends on which provider you are asking about. I believe Nutrisystem sends you meals for a month, so it must be frozen. The others like Factor sends you meals a week at a time, so likely goes into the fridge.

Last time I’m used Nutrisystem was Vacuum packed aluminum retort packs

Last time I’m used Nutrisystem was Vacuum packed aluminum retort packs

From my research the best tasting meals are in the “uniquely yours” plan - that includes entrees that were fresh-frozen. ?. I could be wrong, going by what folks are saying online (always reliable!) ?

From my research the best tasting meals are in the “uniquely yours” plan - that includes entrees that were fresh-frozen. ?. I could be wrong, going by what folks are saying online (always reliable!) ?

My experience is VERY dated And old.!