My discontinued Chevy Impala

Stormy
This topic is 1623 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Maybe it’s my imagination that sedans have gradually gotten lower to the ground for aerodynamics, or my advancing age, but I found it harder to get in and out of my last sedan.

I bought a crossover last year. Easier to get in and out, no longer scraping the trim off the lower part of the front bumper on parking curbs because it’s too low to the ground, and I can see much better around all the other SUVs, or piled up snow at corners when trying to turn/pull out onto the main road.

Maybe it’s my imagination that sedans have gradually gotten lower to the ground for aerodynamics, or my advancing age, but I found it harder to get in and out of my last sedan.

I bought a crossover last year. Easier to get in and out, no longer scraping the trim off the lower part of the front bumper on parking curbs because it’s too low to the ground, and I can see much better around all the other SUVs, or piled up snow at corners when trying to turn/pull out onto the main road.

We just got home an hour ago from the Kia dealership in a new Kia Soul. We bought it because our previous second car was getting too hard for us old men to get in and out. We had researched and then tried climbing in and out of a bunch of cars before deciding on the Soul, because it had the easiest access. (Our other car is an SUV.)

My father was a union guy, and always bought American cars. In the early ‘70s, my brother bought a Toyota. My father would not let him park it in the driveway.

Fast forward almost 40 years later, my father was living with another brother who recently bought a Japanese car. My father told me he really liked his new car.

My father's last car was a new 1969 Impala sedan. He thought it was the best car he ever owned. He thought I was crazy to buy dinky little Toyotas in the 1970s.

We just got home an hour ago from the Kia dealership in a new Kia Soul. We bought it because our previous second car was getting too hard for us old men to get in and out. We had researched and then tried climbing in and out of a bunch of cars before deciding on the Soul, because it had the easiest access. (Our other car is an SUV.)

Happy Motoring.

My parents owned two Impalas - a 1964 and 1967, if I remember correctly. They were big enough for me to stretch out and take a nap in the back seat on a long trip.

That’s no where near what/who I was able to do in a ‘65 Impala ‘67 Pontiac or a ‘’72 Malibu. Yup, got laid weekly in one of those cars during high school. Mostly, just this one boy all the way through.

I used to rent Impalas when visiting my dad. They were easy for him to get in and out of. Then they lowered them and I had a hard time getting in and out (mainly due to my long legs) and he didn't stand a chance. I found the Dodge Charger to be super easy for him. In fact, the ones with "leatherette" (vinyl) seats were super-duper easy - he could slide in and slide out.

That’s no where near what/who I was able to do in a ‘65 Impala ‘67 Pontiac or a ‘’72 Malibu. Yup, got laid weekly in one of those cars during high school. Mostly, just this one boy all the way through.

I was 5'2" on a good day at my tallest (I've lost an inch or so since), but since at the time I was anywhere between 8 and 13 or 14 years old when we had those cars, it wasn't a problem.

There is a late 70s Impala here in my neighborhood that I see every day when I walk my dog. I think it's a 1978 or 79, at the time promoted as "The New Chevrolet" (I can still hear the old TV jingle... Now that's more like it!). It doesn't have the gusto of the 60s models, but with its two-tone blue paint it is a cool car in its own right. I smile whenever I see it.