Christopher Nolan's TENET, coming July 2020

oldNbusted
This topic is 1205 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenet_(film)

https://www.tenetfilm.com

I am so excited for this! I love his films. I went to see Memento on a date and when we got out, my date said 'what the fuck was that' and I knew we were done.

I love MEMENTO. I don't think Nolan has ever topped it, but this one looks very promising. And its being filmed in 70mm so try to see it in a venue which supports that format.

Not trying to pick a fight, but I didn't like Memento (too much mental effort, not enough payoff), and Inception put me to sleep. However, I really liked The Dark Knight and The Prestige, so I'm not a Christopher Nolan hater by any means. And The Prestige is probably the best adaptation of a novel I've ever seen; I read the novel after seeing the movie and they're equally as good. But if Tenet is anything like Memento, I'll skip it. (Not that I see many movies in the first place.)

I prefer "Batman Begins" over "The Dark Knight", but I'm a sucker for origin stories. I called a friend, a huge Batman fan, from the theater parking lot opening night, to tell him to drop everything and go see it. I never understood the hating on Katie Holmes as Rachel; I think Maggie Gyllenhall did a better job, but Katie did the role justice.

I'd read that Bowie played Tesla in "The Prestige", so I wasn't surprised, but the friend I saw it with was surprised, very pleasantly so. :-)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw it, and I'm going to see it again. It definitely requires you pay attention if you want to have any hope to understand what is going on. If not, you just have to enjoy the action sequences. Almost all the negative reviews I've seen so far take the position that an audience shouldn't have to think. :rolleyes:

Just to give you an idea how challenging it is to grasp, every single review I've seen (that goes into actual details) has gotten specific things wrong about what happened, even the wikipedia plot summary had incorrect details when I looked. The only thing that has everything right (that I've seen) is a pinned thread over at the Tenet subreddit.

I enjoyed the movie hugely. I should add that I do NOT like sci-fi at all, and I did NOT read any reviews beforehand.

I found it easy to follow the plot and action by simply watching and paying attention. Of course, it was a delight to see on a large screen (in a big auditorium with social distancing between seats and everyone masked). The movie looked great and the action sequences are remarkable.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The SF Chronicle says don't bother!

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/review-youve-waited-all-this-time-to-see-tenet-now-dont-even-bother-unless-maybe-in-a-theater

A sample: First of all, if you’re one of the people who waited to see “Tenet” — who didn’t take the risk of going to a movie theater in a pandemic — consider your choice vindicated. It is now available to stream so you can watch it safely in your home. You could watch it 10 times in a row, if you like, and by the eighth or ninth viewing, you might even get halfway toward figuring out the plot.

The SF Chronicle says don't bother!

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/review-youve-waited-all-this-time-to-see-tenet-now-dont-even-bother-unless-maybe-in-a-theater

A sample: First of all, if you’re one of the people who waited to see “Tenet” — who didn’t take the risk of going to a movie theater in a pandemic — consider your choice vindicated. It is now available to stream so you can watch it safely in your home. You could watch it 10 times in a row, if you like, and by the eighth or ninth viewing, you might even get halfway toward figuring out the plot.

Not really, one of the reviewers said don't bother and the other said it was "highly enjoyable". Guess which one saw it in a theater? The person you quoted is basically writing to make people feel better that they didn't get to see it on the big screen, but in the process inadvertently revealed how stupid he considers the movie going public to be. There are a lot of reasons to not see it, there is not a lot of character development, it's loud, and has a series of action sequences, so if that's not your cup of tea, best to skip it.

Edited by oldNbusted

• 4 weeks later...