Carnival in Rio ?

tassojunior
This topic is 1217 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was setting up Mardi Gras for New Orleans when an offer dropped on me to go to Rio cheaper. I've only been to Rio twice and a few (Roger's Thermas) years back. Is carnival safe for a gay man, are there hotels available then, can you get parade tickets, etc. Are there 20 clients for every provider, etc? Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eg35_c1Nnk

Edited by tassojunior

...went to Rio's Carnival in 2003. Yes, 16 years ago. ...booked hotels in advance and shared a room with friend. ...extended stay and had single rooms at a much lower price once this major event had concluded. Our singles cost less than our shared room for a few days prior.

...found Rio to be safe when one followed precautions such as dress, jewelry, cameras, etc. Smart phones had not been invented, but I'd advise you to use in enclosed quarters and/or while in a taxi or Uber.

Go to https://boytoy.com. Read the newest of info. about sundry but related topics.

I LOVE and miss RiO de Janeiro.

Edited by Axiom2001

It seems the Sambadrone is more in a central poorer neighborhood and tickets a little harder for tourists to get. I haven't seen high hotel prices yet. I've stayed at the Sheraton Resort past Leblon but it's far. I'll probably stay at the new JW Marriott in Copacabana/Ipanema and hope that's closer to the saunas. I know better than to go in more than the beachfront street. Been there, done that and luckily lived. I'm hoping for quick sauna access and beach....nothing more.

+1 for Ipanema

I've stayed at the Sheraton Resort past Leblon

A couple of years ago, there was cross-fire from the neighbouring favela (Rocinha) so hotel guests were confined to the hotel.

A good friend of mine went last year. He was with a small group. He reported hotel room rates were VERY high, and he obtained expensive premium tickets for the Sambadromo which he felt proved to be great value for money.

I'll probably stay at the new JW Marriott in Copacabana/Ipanema and hope that's closer to the saunas..

The JW in Copa is far from new. I was staying at that property already something like 12-13 years ago. I’m gonna guess it’s been open about 15 years. The building itself is actually older. It was originally started to be another hotel brand but construction halted when it was still an incomplete concrete structure. The project stalled for 2-4 years until Marriott got involved. It was finally completed.

I’ve stayed there 5-6 times over the years. The best thing about it is that it’s centrally located and on the beach. IMHO, it should be branded a standard Marriott rather than a JW. The rooms are quite small and quite a few have no outside looking window. The lounge is pretty poor for a JW. None of the rooms have a balcony. The rooftop pool is unimpressive. I would stay there again if I got a great rate. Otherwise, I would go elsewhere.

As others have stated, Ipanema/Leblon are nicer areas to stay in than Copa.

For what it's worth, this will be my 10th Carnaval this year in Rio. Been booked for the final week of parades and might stay for Champions. Not sure, but have never seen it before and thought it might be fun.

Safe is relative. I'm a 6'3" muscular blond who stands out in Rio like a sore thumb, but I've never felt out of place or unsafe. I just use my head, keep my eyes open and don't go out of my way to act or look like a wealthy American. When you move with purpose through a city, it makes other people think you know what you're doing. That goes a long way in remaining safe.

I've done fun hotels like Fasano and Copacabana Palace, but have had equally as great experiences with Airbnb, mainly going with units on Ipanema. You can always find hotel deals if you're willing to trek out to Barra. Some new hotels out there, American brands, but it's just removed enough from the action to feel a little slow. Uber rides where you want to be wouldn't be expensive, but traffic would be a nightmare.

Parade tickets: I've used Bookers International many, many times and they've always come through. They can also arrange to pick you up from your hotel and take you back when you're done. It's super organized and very easy to deal with. For your first parade, I'd recommend getting as close as possible to really see the detail and get swept up in the energy. A front box or covered box seat.

Also, stay awake until the end to see Beija Flor... Year after year, they put on an INCREDIBLE show.

Make sure to spend time actually seeing Rio. It's a beautiful city in a wonderful country. Yeah, have some fun in the saunas, but don't just spend all of your time in a towel in some smoky, dark basement.

Enjoy! :)

I've about decided to forgo Carnaval and go a little earlier to Rio. I was planning on the Marriott as it's close walking distance to Pointe202 and none of my guys will be here to go with me. 117 up in Gloria really concerns me even in Uber or a cab. It's been a while since I was in Rio (Roger's Thermas days) but even then and in Ipanema and certainly Copacabana it was dodgey. I have a gay 6ft 5 linebacker-looking friend who may go with me, otherwise it's beach, hotel room, and taxi to/from a sauna.

Great news for Rio fans: If you have American miles, in mid january to mid-Feb they have Rio 15K miles (half price) each way Rio to most cities in the US on many flights. Great deal.

even then and in Ipanema and certainly Copacabana it was dodgey

I agree @tassojunior tho it’s been some years since I had a vacation in Rio. I speak 5 languages (but not Portuguese) and I had with me an Argentine friend who knew Rio.

We stayed in Ipanema but we still found it difficult. Once I got us a very good table at an excellent restaurant because the manageress and I both spoke French. Taxis (pre-Uber) were also difficult; sometimes for hire when their light was off, sometimes not for hire when their light was on.

Overall, we had a great vacation, but it did make me feel that Buenos Aires was a much better organised city.

• 1 year later...

They've moved Carnival from Feb to July 2021. I'm assuming/hoping/prayin to Jeezus that I'm fully vaccinated by then. I've been super careful all pandemic and haven't hooked up at all so I'm feeling Rio may be a good place to do years worth of catching up.

I'd enjoying hearing stories and recommendations (hotels, places to eat, things to do, boys to do, whatever) from people's expreince at/during Carnival.