anyone here given counterfeit money?

DrownedBoy
This topic is 1634 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I once unknowingly paid a masseur with some counterfeit 20’s. Interestingly they were fresh from a B of A ATM...and the provider tried to deposit them next day at same bank. The bank teller acknowledged that they had some bad counterfeit bills run through the ATM… But they took them from him anyway!!

there were 3 bad bills in his fee along with a number of good bills. I reimbursed him the $60 on our next visit.

I've counted, by hand, millions of dollars worth of US bills. All the counterfeits I've encountered were comically obvious to me, including the ones given to me by a guy who was also highly experienced handling cash. I guess that's my roundabout way to say I would love to see if someone could pass me a bad bill.

So all you need to do is buy the "special pen." Cheaper than I thought:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/check-fraud-prevention-and-counterfeit-detector-pens/N=5+573547/

Yes un fortunately I've had a few passable fake Bill's given to me 1 time. I bought a pen and have never had this problem again. And yes since having the pen I've come across a few fakes.

I once unknowingly paid a masseur with some counterfeit 20’s. Interestingly they were fresh from a B of A ATM...and the provider tried to deposit them next day at same bank. The bank teller acknowledged that they had some bad counterfeit bills run through the ATM… But they took them from him anyway!!

Yes, banks are required to remove counterfeit bills from circulation. A bank employee that allows a counterfeit to remain in circulation can face criminal charges.

A rather long story which I will cut back, no doubt leaving people with a bunch of questions. I received a phone call late one night from a friend who was distraught because her nephew was in jail and she wanted to bail him out. It was the middle of the night and I asked her how much money she had she said $500. I told her that was not likely to be enough, so I grabbed an ice cream box full of hundreds from my freezer and off we went to jail. Being a Saturday night into Sunday, there were no bail bondsmen open in my area. We found out the bail area would open at 7AM and that his bail was $25000. She became upset, but then I told her about the box of money. (Why I had a box of money is the long story) Anyway, we counted out the $25000 and at the appointed time we got the the bail area. The police were a bit surprised that we had the cash to bail him out but they dutifully began to check the money, The first two bills were deemed unacceptable and likely counterfeit. That made me a bit nervous, but the rest of the bills were fine.

The police actually returned the two bills to me, which was a surprise. As I had gotten the bills from a local bank, I was not sure the bills were actually counterfeit. Eventually all the money from the box was deposited in the bank, without issue.

I was expecting she would go to a bail bondsmen on Monday and give me the money. It seems that once he was out of jail, the bail bondsman would no give the money. I eventually go my money back but without interest, though it was a year later. Guess I was just lucky to get it back at all.

A rather long story which I will cut back, no doubt leaving people with a bunch of questions. I received a phone call late one night from a friend who was distraught because her nephew was in jail and she wanted to bail him out. It was the middle of the night and I asked her how much money she had she said $500. I told her that was not likely to be enough, so I grabbed an ice cream box full of hundreds from my freezer and off we went to jail. Being a Saturday night into Sunday, there were no bail bondsmen open in my area. We found out the bail area would open at 7AM and that his bail was $25000. She became upset, but then I told her about the box of money. (Why I had a box of money is the long story) Anyway, we counted out the $25000 and at the appointed time we got the the bail area. The police were a bit surprised that we had the cash to bail him out but they dutifully began to check the money, The first two bills were deemed unacceptable and likely counterfeit. That made me a bit nervous, but the rest of the bills were fine.

The police actually returned the two bills to me, which was a surprise. As I had gotten the bills from a local bank, I was not sure the bills were actually counterfeit. Eventually all the money from the box was deposited in the bank, without issue.

I was expecting she would go to a bail bondsmen on Monday and give me the money. It seems that once he was out of jail, the bail bondsman would no give the money. I eventually go my money back but without interest, though it was a year later. Guess I was just lucky to get it back at all.

You’re an amazingly trusting friend! I’d never even think of doing that.

Yeah, a couple of times. Las Vegas is more of a "cash is king" city than most because so many people make their income in cash, whether on the up & up (waiters, bartenders, strippers, poker players, etc.) and the not so much (use your imagination). With so much cash in circulation, there's also a lot of counterfeit bills in circulation. I've been passed a counterfeit $20 and $100. The fake $20 was annoying, but the fake hundy hurt. I scrutinize bills I take a lot more carefully now. An expensive lesson, but that's life.

During Colonial Times, they used a leaf with many lines on it going in different directions (like a thumb print) and imprinted that on the money because of the uniqueness of that leaf (like a thumb print) to try to prevent duplication. It was the original plate for the printing. They also printed on the bills "To counterfeit is Death".