Steamworks Berkeley and general bathhouse question

Radio12545
This topic is 1639 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'll be spending some time in San Francisco for work over the next couple of months, and have considered visiting a bathhouse for the first time. I'm in my 30s, but from a pretty rural area and definitely don't have anything like that at home.

Anyway, has anyone been to Steamworks? Were your experiences good? Bad? Any rookie advice?

I'm also hoping only to make out, grind and that sort of innocent stuff. Not interested in anonymous sex ... Just want to relax passionately. Is that a realistic hope for a bathhouse visit or will I be the weird loner that doesn't want sex?

I'll be spending some time in San Francisco for work over the next couple of months, and have considered visiting a bathhouse for the first time. I'm in my 30s, but from a pretty rural area and definitely don't have anything like that at home.

Anyway, has anyone been to Steamworks? Were your experiences good? Bad? Any rookie advice?

I'm also hoping only to make out, grind and that sort of innocent stuff. Not interested in anonymous sex ... Just want to relax passionately. Is that a realistic hope for a bathhouse visit or will I be the weird loner that doesn't want sex?

For over 20 years, whenever I am in the Bay Area I have included visits to Steamwworks. IMHO it has gotten better with time, with major renovations the last several years to the wet areas and public play areas as examples. From noon to dawn there is a compelling mixture of tourists and locals. I have never been disappointed. If you ever find yourself in Chicago, a visit to Steamworks is a must.

I love the space that Steamworks provides, but like anything, it can be hit-and-miss. I've had some great times there, though. Don't be shy to let people know your boundaries and your desires. I will say this, from my own experience, the area surrounding Steamworks has gentrified in recent years, but it feels less safe, than before. Also, since I live in San Francisco, I frequent EROS, which feels comfortable for me. Do keep in mind that EROS has only open spaces, no private rooms. Good Luck.

Any rookie advice?

Don‘t get your hopes up too high.

As others have said it’s very hit or miss.

Of course, it only take one real “hit” to make it incredible.

will I be the weird loner that doesn't want sex?

That’s up to you.

Just remember you’re at a bathhouse....not an afternoon tea.

Most people will assume you’re there to get off.

Edited by nycman

Steamworks is top of the line. They're the biggest and cleanest you'll find. However, I don't recommend going there or to any bathhouse if you just wish to grind and do "innocent stuff." I doubt you'll find other patrons seeking the same. Maybe you'd be better off in a bar.

i've been to the SW several times, mostly on Sundays for the "Cummunion Service" in the late-afternoon/early evening. With the throbbing music and strobe lighting, it definitely exudes an "anxious" sexual vibe--unlike the more subdued WaterGarden in San Jose.

When you walk in (after paying the $22 for a locker or $32 for a room--rooms are always on waitlist due to high demand), the staff will inspect your bag/backpack (if you have one) and hand you a locker key and a towel. As you work your way thru the maze of lockers, guys will be checking out the 'new arrival'. Vending machines and a TV lounge are adjacent to the lockers. The humidity level will rise as you trek down the dimly lit corridors to the Sauna/Steam/Shower/Whirpool area--which is always busy. Beyond is a labyrinth of rooms followed by the small, but fairly well-equipped gym; the restrooms flank this area. Venturing on, past the DJ booth is the "inner sanctum"-- a network of cubes and glory hole booths in near-darkness. My night vision is terrible, so I don't hangout in this section too often--but it's defintely active; one corner even has a sling.

The crowd is diverse (unlike the aforementioned WaterGarden which is mostly Latinos and Silicon Vly techies and seniors). The SW has a mix of older, hairy guys, some Bears, tattooed twinks, bubble-butt Asians, and well-endowed African Americans. There are couples who go to engage in 3-ways and some dudes just stand and "pose" -- not wanting actual contact, just shallow adulation. Though drugs are not allowed, there are always a handful of obvious tweakers. Most of the guys are on the prowl, wanting to be sucked or fucked. In short, it's kind of a mixed bag--there are always a number of hot guys and quite a few duds. Some guys are approachable; I'll make eye contact, say the obligatory "how u doin?". If they're receptive, I'll glide my hand down their shoulder and grasp their palm and place it over my crotch concealed by the towel. That's how I "break the ice". Sometimes it works, sometimes not :{{ -- but whatthefuck, it's a hornyass gay bath house!

I think it's worth checking out at least once, if you're in the SF Bay area. I don't like dealing with traffic on the Bay Bridge, so a couple of times, I've taken BART to Berkeley Station and a 10-min Uber ride to the SW. ALSO, the nearby Fourth Street Shopping District is worth checking out--especially this time of year with the holiday decorations.

Tip: Bring flip flops, as the floor is not sanitized regularly. I also pack a small travel-size bottle of mouthwash mixed with hydrogen peroxide (as I usually engage in oral sex when I'm there).

Have fun & be Safe.

i've been to the SW several times, mostly on Sundays for the "Cummunion Service" in the late-afternoon/early evening. With the throbbing music and strobe lighting, it definitely exudes an "anxious" sexual vibe--unlike the more subdued WaterGarden in San Jose.

When you walk in (after paying the $22 for a locker or $32 for a room--rooms are always on waitlist due to high demand), the staff will inspect your bag/backpack (if you have one) and hand you a locker key and a towel. As you work your way thru the maze of lockers, guys will be checking out the 'new arrival'. Vending machines and a TV lounge are adjacent to the lockers. The humidity level will rise as you trek down the dimly lit corridors to the Sauna/Steam/Shower/Whirpool area--which is always busy. Beyond is a labyrinth of rooms followed by the small, but fairly well-equipped gym; the restrooms flank this area. Venturing on, past the DJ booth is the "inner sanctum"-- a network of cubes and glory hole booths in near-darkness. My night vision is terrible, so I don't hangout in this section too often--but it's defintely active; one corner even has a sling.

The crowd is diverse (unlike the aforementioned WaterGarden which is mostly Latinos and Silicon Vly techies and seniors). The SW has a mix of older, hairy guys, some Bears, tattooed twinks, bubble-butt Asians, and well-endowed African Americans. There are couples who go to engage in 3-ways and some dudes just stand and "pose" -- not wanting actual contact, just shallow adulation. Though drugs are not allowed, there are always a handful of obvious tweakers. Most of the guys are on the prowl, wanting to be sucked or fucked. In short, it's kind of a mixed bag--there are always a number of hot guys and quite a few duds. Some guys are approachable; I'll make eye contact, say the obligatory "how u doin?". If they're receptive, I'll glide my hand down their shoulder and grasp their palm and place it over my crotch concealed by the towel. That's how I "break the ice". Sometimes it works, sometimes not :{{ -- but whatthefuck, it's a hornyass gay bath house!

I think it's worth checking out at least once, if you're in the SF Bay area. I don't like dealing with traffic on the Bay Bridge, so a couple of times, I've taken BART to Berkeley Station and a 10-min Uber ride to the SW. ALSO, the nearby Fourth Street Shopping District is worth checking out--especially this time of year with the holiday decorations.

Tip: Bring flip flops, as the floor is not sanitized regularly. I also pack a small travel-size bottle of mouthwash mixed with hydrogen peroxide (as I usually engage in oral sex when I'm there).

Have fun & be Safe.

A very complete review!

I've been there from time to time to hook up with specific guys who also can't host. It doesn't seem to matter when you go, the place always seems to be jammed with horny good looking men who mean business. I've been promising myself a solo afternoon at Steamworks.

I’ve gone a couple of times and thought it was worth it every time. There’s lot of hot and all sorts of guys there. I’ve never had or wanted to have actual wed there, but lots of fun can be had with guy playing with each other, friending, groping, etc.

Also had some fun at a Immerson Spa down in Palo Alto where there seems to be a lot of play in the steam room and salt room if that’s your thing.