Why do people idle in the parking lot for 20/40 minutes?

azdr0710
This topic is 1655 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sorry to grouch, but I'm sitting in a lot (car off, windows down) now and it's 75 and perfect out. Three cars in a row have parked near me to go into a store and have left their car idling with windows rolled up and a passenger inside. Is it because of phone use? Or AC is on? Or what? Very common nowadays and it never happened more than 10-15 years ago. Happens all the time, it seems. What up??

Just a theory, but I think people have become accustomed to having their car windows up all the time, since pretty much every car now has filtered a/c. When I was younger I used to drive around with windows rolled down on a nice day, but now like everyone else I keep them rolled up with a/c on all the time. The thought of rolling down windows to sit in a parked car maybe just doesn’t come to mind.

But I think the explanations offered by @sniper and @craigville beach are probably the more likely explanations. Or if there is a pet in the car.

For the fuel efficiency reason, and because it's uncomfortable to have open windows at speed, I drive with the windows up on the open road. I sometimes wind* them down when the speed limit is 50 or 60 km/h. Today I was driving from Melbourne to my small home town, about seven hours, and when I stopped for a sandwich and coffee I wound both front windows down while I was parked and eating. I didn't have the engine running, just the key* in the ignition turned to the first stop so the radio worked.

* Yes, I know they are electric, so I don't actually 'wind' them down.

* None of this new fangled proximity 'key' stuff in my 10 year old car.