Have you ever paid for your client’s dinner/drinks?

hwic04
This topic is 1612 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It’s OK [uSER=19303]@europeanman[/uSER]; I figured someone might say that.

For me, the answer is more nuanced. I’ve always been open-hearted and I’ve often been told I’m very generous. When I invite people to restaurants, I want them to have an enjoyable time and to choose what they prefer.

The behaviour of the regular provider began to grate over time: at one dinner, he ordered caviar and champagne as his first course and I made no comment...not even when he left most of it, saying he had decided he didn’t like caviar. The €34 cup of tea stays in my memory as we’d stopped for an espresso; he watched the flowers unfold in the hot water, smelled them and drank perhaps half the cup. I think it’s because I find the emphasis on having the most expensive item to be essentially vulgar.

As for the “young hottie”, he arrived one evening, announced he’d argued with his room-mate, had nowhere to go, so he wanted to stay for a while - turned out to be 8 weeks. He wasn’t my boyfriend, and he had full-time paid employment. I never asked him to pay rent, but he never contributed a thing - never bought a bunch of flowers or paid for a coffee - but each evening he’d ask What are we doing tonight? So I’d pay for theatre, concerts etc and for dinner afterwards. He relentlessly saved his money and I found his sense of entitlement graceless.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest europeanman
It’s OK [uSER=19303]@europeanman[/uSER]; I figured someone might say that.

For me, the answer is more nuanced. I’ve always been open-hearted and I’ve often been told I’m very generous. When I invite people to restaurants, I want them to have an enjoyable time and to choose what they prefer.

The behaviour of the regular provider began to grate over time: at one dinner, he ordered caviar and champagne as his first course and I made no comment...not even when he left most of it, saying he had decided he didn’t like caviar. The €34 cup of tea stays in my memory as we’d stopped for an espresso; he watched the flowers unfold in the hot water, smelled them and drank perhaps half the cup. I think it’s because I find the emphasis on having the most expensive item to be essentially vulgar.

As for the “young hottie”, he arrived one evening, announced he’d argued with his room-mate, had nowhere to go, so he wanted to stay for a while - turned out to be 8 weeks. He wasn’t my boyfriend, and he had full-time paid employment. I never asked him to pay rent, but he never contributed a thing - never bought a bunch of flowers or paid for a coffee - but each evening he’d ask What are we doing tonight? So I’d pay for theatre, concerts etc and for dinner afterwards. He relentlessly saved his money and I found his sense of entitlement graceless.

Ok now I see your point. Sorry for rushing into conclusions. I would tell them to fuck off.

Guest europeanman
Ok now I see your point. Sorry for rushing into conclusions. I would tell them to fuck off.

I had a similar experience. Last summer, I started chatting with two hot boys at a beach bar in Mykonos. I asked them what they want to drink and one of them said champagne. I told him, as a joke, champagne is expensive and he immediately said oh you are poor and left. The other one was truly embarrassed by the behaviour of his friend. He blushed and tried to apologise. A bit later we were sharing a bottle of Dom. I kept contact with him and see each other when we are in the same city.

Guest europeanman
I think that’s an excellent way of finding out who’s interested in you as a person, rather than interested in your money.

Frankly I don't care.