Random random

loremipsum

I'd started a thread on an Australian TV documentary show in the TV thread, but rather than revive it this seems like a better place to post about it.

Courtney Act is an Australian drag queen who I'd never heard of, but she featured in the local TV coverage of Mardi Gras earlier this month. I was surprised that tonight's episode of Australian Story was about her, well her and Shane Jenek, the man behind the mask. His parents are in the show and are enthusiastic fans of his work. Well worth a watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
have posted this before......go full screen and full volume for this first one!!......how 'bout those crosswind landings!!??!!.....a legendary airport and all-manual landings.....jealous of the few lucky forum members who got to land at Kai Tak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI

I RECALL LANDING AT KAI TAK AIRPORT MANY YEARS AGO. IT WAS THRILLING AND I WAS SCARED SHITLESS.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you accepted the 'gold fish 1.5 seconds memory' idea? If so this conversation will derail that impression. I often tune out of these daily one-hour conversations but didn't today. Here, in a 50 minute podcast a marine biologist talks about fish and their intelligence.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/culum-brown/12236632

Among other things he talks about fish that learnt how to evade an obstacle over a short period (they took a while to get it) but when presented with the same obstacle months later remembered how to evade it, fish that when presented with a mirror realised that what they saw was a reflection of themselves, not another fish, and manta rays that knew that on weekends recreational fishers would clean the fish they had caught at boat launching ramps so they would turn up to eat the fish guts and scraps that the fishers were throwing away.

A Port Jackson shark latching onto a research student's head for 30 minutes has to be a highlight.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...