Random random

loremipsum

I have often stated that my criteria are: Short, Muscular, & Latino... I'm still waiting for the line to form. Now if Armond Rizzo tries to get in line, he'll immediately go to the front of the line.

He'll turn 30 next July and will fall just outside my no children rules. I don't do 20 somethings; Too hard to change their diapers, and I'm not willing to show them how to do certain things.;)

You my young stud will have at least 2 of the three in a few years, so pick your spot in the line :rolleyes:

When I was maybe 16 my mother told me that I had the intellect of a 35-year-old and the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old. Let’s... adjust it for inflation, in a manner of speaking. Intellect: 40. Emotional maturity: 20. The mean of these two values is 30 ;)

When I was maybe 16 my mother told me that I had the intellect of a 35-year-old and the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old. Let’s... adjust it for inflation, in a manner of speaking. Intellect: 40. Emotional maturity: 20. The mean of these two values is 30 ;)

@loremipsum. This is one of the best threads in ages. Random is a kind of freedom of the mind. To let spew out what may & in any order the mind dictates. Awesome!

I bet your clients never know quite what to expect but I'll wager it is accompanied by eloquence & style ! :)

Actually, said tableau reminds me of a Sex and the City scene that finds Samantha waiting a long time for a date to show: “She hadn’t expected to be caught out in public alone without a book, project, or any of her dining-out-alone-armor.”

I'm very rarely caught without a book. There are usually a couple somewhere in my car. I'm supporting my local library with overdue fines, and I don't mind at all.

you are nothing like Avalon

And that's...…………………...

a good thing.

giphy.gif

Election night, 2012 maybe? Diane Sawyer sounded very drunk (maybe she was just very, very, tired). Some comic a few days later pointed it out: "The early polls are in, and the winner is...Chardonnay!"

I happen to be aware of the magnitude of the plight of academics. Some of my professors were not at all shy about broaching the subject. One straight up said that life is miserable for them before getting tenure. Another told us that they owe far more in loans than they bring in each year: “...Seriously, it’s not good.” The “publish or perish” aspect of it all was the most daunting to me when I considered it as a profession. They have to keep churning out literature to stay afloat in the estimation of their respective universities and the academic realm in general.

Life is miserable before getting tenure. 6 years of publish or perish articles in the "right type" of journals on an original topic you may come to hate with a passion of 1000 white hot suns, campus service, obtaining external funding (even in the Humanities, preferably from the Federal government), writing a book or 2, getting commissions or placing in competitions in Art, Architecture, and Design, the whims of a P + T committee, a department chair or dean, enrollment trends, workload creep... I remember my first semester of graduate school a classmate talking about getting a divorce as a result of her pursuing a PhD and thinking how awful... And then finding out how true it is when my partner and I split while I was in my PhD... The sacrifices to your soul are real.

Speaking of fathers and their daughters’ work: I wonder sometimes about The Diary of Anne Frank. Otto Frank, Anne’s father, published it after she died. Some speculate that much of it was fabricated. I myself have trouble finding credible a quote she purportedly composed herself in her diary: “In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.” Perhaps I’m just jaded.

I took two classes on the Holocaust. In one of them each member of the class had to do a brief presentation on one Holocaust diary (dozens of them are extant — Anne Frank was not the only Jew who kept one). My particular one was written by a twelve-year-old boy. He lived with his parents and the three swore that when the police came to call, rather than be taken away, they would all immediately ingest cyanide tablets that the father had procured, in the interest of leaving this world on their own terms. The police eventually did come to their home, and the boy took a cyanide tablet immediately as his parents had earlier instructed him to do, as they had all agreed to do. His last words reportedly were: “Daddy, the cyani—“ and then he dropped dead. The police officials were so horrified by this that they just left. The parents survived the Holocaust and had another child. It really annoyed me. I felt great disdain for those parents. What the hell?

Side note: He and his parents lived in a “ghetto.” Until those classes I don’t think I was aware of the term originally referring to living quarters for Jews during the Holocaust.

And then the word was reappropriated to apply to marginalized neighbourhoods comprised of people of colour (including Italians, who weren't White enough)...

I have often stated that my criteria are: Short, Muscular, & Latino... I'm still waiting for the line to form. Now if Armond Rizzo tries to get in line, he'll immediately go to the front of the line.

He'll turn 30 next July and will fall just outside my no children rules. I don't do 20 somethings; Too hard to change their diapers, and I'm not willing to show them how to do certain things.;)

You my young stud will have at least 2 of the three in a few years, so pick your spot in the line :rolleyes:

Will Italian suffice for Latino??