Diahann Carroll passed away...

big-n-tall
This topic is 1615 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Liz Smith, the late gossip columnist, almost never wrote anything negative about anyone, so this one stood out to me. Diahann had done a show (for some reason, I’m remembering in Philly) and afterward a woman in her 20s came up to her & said something like “Diahann, you were wonderful; I’m such a fan.” Diahann thanked her and said something to the effect of “You know, dear, I have a daughter about your age, and when she was a child I taught her that it’s impolite to call your elders by their first names.” Liz called her out for being less than gracious with a fan.

• 3 weeks later...
Liz Smith, the late gossip columnist, almost never wrote anything negative about anyone, so this one stood out to me. Diahann had done a show (for some reason, I’m remembering in Philly) and afterward a woman in her 20s came up to her & said something like “Diahann, you were wonderful; I’m such a fan.” Diahann thanked her and said something to the effect of “You know, dear, I have a daughter about your age, and when she was a child I taught her that it’s impolite to call your elders by their first names.” Liz called her out for being less than gracious with a fan.

And Liz was wrong. It is presumptuous to address a total stranger by their first name.

Ms. Carroll wasn’t being “less than gracious”, she was teaching the young lady some etiquette.

And Liz Smith was being messy...

And Liz was wrong. It is presumptuous to address a total stranger by their first name.

Exactly....

All I can think of is how EVERYONE knows, that there is a specific ICON who is never to be address on a first name basis, unless she gives you clearance: Miss Diana Ross. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair, it may be difficult to know what to call someone whom one has seen on Broadway and especially television. My guess is most people called Lucille Ball, Lucy not Ms. Ball.

She was in our respective living rooms for many, many years.

I wonder if Carroll's reaction had something to do with race. I've heard from a number of older blacks that it was quite common back in the day (during segregation, pre-civil rights) that blacks were addressed by their first names whereas whites in similar circumstances were addressed as Mr./Mrs/Miss (this was before the advent of Ms.) + surname.

I get that young'uns don't abide by the same norms as the older generation, especially with social media putting everyone on a first-name basis. I'll give the benefit of a doubt to any young person who addresses someone by their first name, presumptuous as it may be. But I also understand why Ms. Carroll felt the need to correct the young fan.

I wonder if Carroll's reaction had something to do with race. I've heard from a number of older blacks that it was quite common back in the day (during segregation, pre-civil rights) that blacks were addressed by their first names whereas whites in similar circumstances were addressed as Mr./Mrs/Miss (this was before the advent of Ms.) + surname.

I get that young'uns don't abide by the same norms as the older generation, especially with social media putting everyone on a first-name basis. I'll give the benefit of a doubt to any young person who addresses someone by their first name, presumptuous as it may be. But I also understand why Ms. Carroll felt the need to correct the young fan.

I doubt it. I certainly would not have addressed Mary Martin, Ethel Merman or currently Angela Lansbury by the their first names.

I called Mary "you."

Edited by WilliamM

Of f topic, I guess. I am listening to "Diahann Carroll at the Persian Room," an early live recording which includes a tribute to Ethel Waters.

I had forgotten what gifted singer she was. The CD also included Carroll singing with Andre Previn playing piano. Highly recommended.