Los Angeles rental help needed

PapaTony
This topic is 1749 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

To all my Los Angeles neighbors:

Does anyone happen to have a room for rent? A spare bedroom, a basement apartment, anything really...

A sweet boy I know, not a provider, just moved to LA and was defrauded out of a month’s security deposit he prepaid. The apartment, the “landlord”, even apparently the building do not exist, and he was supposed to move in today so he is essentially homeless. Fortunately a school friend who lives here is able to give up his sofa for a couple of nights but that’s the extent of his hospitality.

He’s a nice young man from a good family and would be a respectable lodger.

Please, if anyone has or knows of a place please let me know ASAP. Thanks much.

To all my Los Angeles neighbors:

Does anyone happen to have a room for rent? A spare bedroom, a basement apartment, anything really...

A sweet boy I know, not a provider, just moved to LA and was defrauded out of a month’s security deposit he prepaid. The apartment, the “landlord”, even apparently the building do not exist, and he was supposed to move in today so he is essentially homeless. Fortunately a school friend who lives here is able to give up his sofa for a couple of nights but that’s the extent of his hospitality.

He’s a nice young man from a good family and would be a respectable lodger.

Please, if anyone has or knows of a place please let me know ASAP. Thanks much.

I hope no one's asking for photos of him, that would be very sad. :(

Edited by RealAvalon

I hope no one's asking for photos of him, that would be very sad. :(

I think I understand your statement, but on the other hand wouldn't one want to know who is moving into one's house/apartment for a month? I'd want more than just a photo if I had a spare room to offer for a month.

And I hope that in addition to a free room for a month that someone can educate this poor man on how to avoid being taken advantage of financially in the future. Paying a security deposit to someone he never met and a place he never looked at is very reckless. I know some people end up getting scammed this way after looking at an apartment with someone claiming to be the landlord of said place when, in fact, they just happen to have access to an empty space, and falling victim to a scam like that is more understandable. Sending money sight unseen just doesn't make sense.

I think I understand your statement, but on the other hand wouldn't one want to know who is moving into one's house/apartment for a month? I'd want more than just a photo if I had a spare room to offer for a month.

And I hope that in addition to a free room for a month that someone can educate this poor man on how to avoid being taken advantage of financially in the future. Paying a security deposit to someone he never met and a place he never looked at is very reckless. I know some people end up getting scammed this way after looking at an apartment with someone claiming to be the landlord of said place when, in fact, they just happen to have access to an empty space, and falling victim to a scam like that is more understandable. Sending money sight unseen just doesn't make sense.

The boy is not looking for free room. I don’t know where you got that.

And this was a very well orchestrated scam executed through a series of calls, emails and FaceTime meetings long distance; not easy to inspect a physical location from 400 miles away. The boy’s parents were party to all of this. There were convincing legal documents including a lease agreement, property files, a realtor reference and driver’s licenses exchanged, all fake as it turns out.

So let’s not let this devolve into a pedantic debate about what should have or could have happened, with accusations of recklessness. Scams like this happen. Unfortunately he and his family are victim to a whopper despite all efforts to attempt to avoid abuse. The LAPD and WeHo Sheriff’s office are looking into this.

Thanks for weighing in.

Edited by PapaTony

@instudiocity Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have renters? Is this something you can help with?

Yes, I have renters in my condo, long-term renters... 15 years for the 42 year old & 8 years for the 35 year old. But I’m maxed out.

He should keep looking, there are many roommate wanted situations now that a 2 bedroom is over $2grand a month.

Yes, I have renters in my condo, long-term renters... 15 years for the 42 year old & 8 years for the 35 year old. But I’m maxed out.

He should keep looking, there are many roommate wanted situations now that a 2 bedroom is over $2grand a month.

Thank you for the reply.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

The boy is not looking for free room. I don’t know where you got that.

And this was a very well orchestrated scam executed through a series of calls, emails and FaceTime meetings long distance; not easy to inspect a physical location from 400 miles away. The boy’s parents were party to all of this. There were convincing legal documents including a lease agreement, property files, a realtor reference and driver’s licenses exchanged, all fake as it turns out.

So let’s not let this devolve into a pedantic debate about what should have or could have happened, with accusations of recklessness. Scams like this happen. Unfortunately he and his family are victim to a whopper despite all efforts to attempt to avoid abuse. The LAPD and WeHo Sheriff’s office are looking into this.

Thanks for weighing in.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. While you clearly used the word "rent," I think I was thrown by the extraneous details. Describing his being victim of a scam just led me down the path of assuming he was looking for some sort of financial assistance or a break from someone who is in a position to offer that kindness. It sounds like the reality is that he is just looking for somewhere to live. The rest of the story isn't pertinent to him being on the lookout for a room to rent.

not easy to inspect a physical location from 400 miles away

Indeed, it isn't,

How do you know this boy from 400 miles away? How did you meet? Was he turning tricks somewhere? What do you really know about his 'sweet' personality? I don't want to be cynical in any way, but I am not entirely convinced ...

Roommate wanted situations are often posted on local university FB groups—UCLA, USC, Pomona, community colleges, etc. Does he have any friends with access to these groups?

Yes thanks. We’re looking everywhere.

He’s safely settled for a few days couch surfing at a friend’s apartment.

His budget is in the $800 range but in today’s Los Angeles that doesn’t go far, even with a roommate. He’s set up appointments this weekend to check out a few places.

Edited by PapaTony