Jakob Jozef Orlinski - Countertenor

edjames
This topic is 1483 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

New Yorker magazine did a profile on this good looking Polish countertenor making a sensation in the classical world.

Described "as if Michaelangelo's statue of David came to life," he's a creating a rock star appeal.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/22/a-millennial-countertenors-pop-star-appeal

Not only is he a great singer, but he also models, and breakdances.

Worth checking out...

This video of him singing Vivaldi's aria "Vedro con mio diletto", from the opera "Il Giustino", been viewed over 3.5 million times:

He really is some talent, for sure. I, personally, am not at all attracted to countertenor voices, they have that same strained quality to my ear that I hear in children's voices. On another "note," he has one fine set of calves. :p

I read the New Yorker article and watched the video, because both were sent to me by a friend who has never had any interest in opera, but now thinks that maybe he would like it. Sex sells.

I have seen some noted countertenors over the years, starting with James Bowman, and have known a couple personally. Unfortunately, I have rarely enjoyed listening to them, even when they are technically excellent. I guess it is a matter of taste.

New Yorker magazine did a profile on this good looking Polish countertenor making a sensation in the classical world.

Described "as if Michaelangelo's statue of David came to life," he's a creating a rock star appeal.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/22/a-millennial-countertenors-pop-star-appeal

Not only is he a great singer, but he also models, and breakdances.

Worth checking out...

This video of him singing Vivaldi's aria "Vedro con mio diletto", from the opera "Il Giustino", been viewed over 3.5 million times:

He performed in Chicago last year -- I found him musically amazing. And amazingly attractive as well. Jump at the chance to see him if he comes your way. Youtube doesn't do justice to his talents.

It's funny to me how we easily accept male POP vocalists who sing in this range, but we have a harder time with classical singers doing it.

But indeed - very talented, and the looks certainly don't hurt.

I wonder if Vivaldi had been listening to Dido's Lament a bit too much when he wrote this?? :oops:

I read the New Yorker article and watched the video, because both were sent to me by a friend who has never had any interest in opera, but now thinks that maybe he would like it. Sex sells.

I have seen some noted countertenors over the years, starting with James Bowman, and have known a couple personally. Unfortunately, I have rarely enjoyed listening to them, even when they are technically excellent. I guess it is a matter of taste.

James Bowman was my first counter tenor. In 1978 he sang in Britten’s “A Midsummer Nights Dream” for Opera Australia in Sydney. The voice type is an acquired taste. This Polish gent is quite a discovery in more ways than one.

Amazing that at high notes the voice does not krak, ow, that would be earsplitting. I would accept most other splitting.

LOL. But in terms of the voice cracking, of course he's trained to have the proper breath/body support not to do that. Also, odd as this sounds, he's not singing all that high. We're actually quite used to hearing male rock singers go even higher than this. The highest notes in this song (I think the highest note is a D) have also been known to be belted by regular tenors, though that's a very different kind of sound.

• 6 months later...

Jakub Josef Orlinski took over the lead at short notice (replacing the mezzo Elizabeth DeShong) in Handel's Rinaldo at Glyndebourne a few months ago. He was originally cast in the role of Eustazio. This meant there were 4 countertenors in this production. I have just read a review of his performance in Opera magazine. The reviewer wrote "Orlinski is the real countertenor deal, one of the best I've heard on the operatic (or on any other) stage: an exceptional legato, no loss of power in the lower reaches, attentive diction, superb histrionic flair. He has in short, raised the bar decisively for what we can expect of this voice type in this repertory.'' Further proof, if it is needed, that he is a major operatic talent.

As an aside, I attended Glyndebourne for the first time last July and heard a lovely performance of the Barber of Seville. I cheated a little by not wearing a dinner suit (I wore a lounge suit). Its a wonderful, quaint truly English experience. I hope to go again mid year when I'm in London to see Alcina and the Elixir of Love. This time I will hire a dinner suit.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...