Planes Trains and Automobiles

VictorPowers
This topic is 1760 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I become older and wiser, I try to alter the way I do things in this world of hiring. Winter I feel will be right around the corner and I thought of a good tactic to stay ahead of these storms. Flights can be a mess in many of the east coast cities I frequent. How reliable is Amtrak or commuter rails in the east during winter?

I have only been stranded so to speak 2x with flights being grounded, but that event is always stressful and I’d like to be more calculated in my travel arrangements.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I become older and wiser, I try to alter the way I do things in this world of hiring. Winter I feel will be right around the corner and I thought of a good tactic to stay ahead of these storms. Flights can be a mess in many of the east coast cities I frequent. How reliable is Amtrak or commuter rails in the east during winter?

I have only been stranded so to speak 2x with flights being grounded, but that event is always stressful and I’d like to be more calculated in my travel arrangements.

Everything is reliable, until it aint. I DONT fly, and have taken the rails with no issue.... But then you occasionally read about trains that derail, or get stranded..... Shit happens, and its unpredictable... flying for me seems so stressful now..... If you have the time, give the rails a try....

Everything is reliable, until it aint. I DONT fly, and have taken the rails with no issue.... But then you occasionally read about trains that derail, or get stranded..... Shit happens, and its unpredictable... flying for me seems so stressful now..... If you have the time, give the rails a try....

@VictorPowers trains and planes can be unreliable anywhere. In the North East, trains are likely to be quicker and cheaper, but not always. When I was last there, I used Amtrak not flights, and I have Amtrak points to show for it. (There are buses too.) I travelled to various locations between DC and Hartford, usually booking shortly before I travelled.

@VictorPowers trains and planes can be unreliable anywhere. In the North East, trains are likely to be quicker and cheaper, but not always. When I was last there, I used Amtrak not flights, and I have Amtrak points to show for it. (There are buses too.) I travelled to various locations between DC and Hartford, usually booking shortly before I travelled.

I would say that trains are convenient for short distances, usually when you hop from center city to center city. If you need a longer reach, they get time consuming and expensive. Do compare prices AND how long the trip will last - you will find that flights are both cheaper and much shorter for longer distances. Even the Acela express train don’t cut back all that much on time and is expensive. ?

In terms of reliability, trains have failed me on a number of occasions. Had to rent a car and drive. It is what it is... ?

I would say that trains are convenient for short distances, usually when you hop from center city to center city. If you need a longer reach, they get time consuming and expensive. Do compare prices AND how long the trip will last - you will find that flights are both cheaper and much shorter for longer distances. Even the Acela express train don’t cut back all that much on time and is expensive. ?

In terms of reliability, trains have failed me on a number of occasions. Had to rent a car and drive. It is what it is... ?

The Amtrak from New York to Washington is the grubbiest train I have ever been on anywhere. It really was a mess, the bathroom was filthy. But, it did leave and arrive on time

The Amtrak from New York to Washington is the grubbiest train I have ever been on anywhere. It really was a mess, the bathroom was filthy. But, it did leave and arrive on time

I would be looking for short routes. Nothing crazy long. No way I’ll depart SLC on a train headed East! That’s a LONG journey!

New York to Montreal was a very nice ride. Clean, spacious, pretty scenery. Maybe its more of a tourist route and less a commuter route

I would be looking for short routes. Nothing crazy long. No way I’ll depart SLC on a train headed East! That’s a LONG journey!

New York to Montreal was a very nice ride. Clean, spacious, pretty scenery. Maybe its more of a tourist route and less a commuter route

Indeed! On that trip the train journey is an aim in itself. Of course if we were sharing a compartment that would be different.

Indeed! On that trip the train journey is an aim in itself. Of course if we were sharing a compartment that would be different.

Maybe a “premium” bus service would be an option. Here are some links:

Megabus

https://us.megabus.com

Miami to Boston

BoltBus

https://www.boltbus.com/where-we-go/

Wash DC to Boston

LimoLiner

https://www.limoliner.com

NYC to Boston

Vamoose Gold

https://www.vamoosebus.com

NYC to Wash DC

BestBus

https://www.bestbus.com

Wash DC to New York

And something closer to home:

https://saltlakeexpress.com

depends... I would suggest you only take Amtrak if you're going from DC to NYC or from there to Boston, but schedules and distances make no sense if you're going every where else. Buses take longer, for example Amtrak to NYC is 3 1/2 hours but a bus is at least 5 and you might ran into traffic.

Avoid Greyhound at all costs! That must be your last choice. Megabus keeps expanding in the East Coast and is reliable, always double check the schedules of the Chinese Bus and the size of luggage allowed for check in.

I would wait to see how the weather is while being aware of alternatives.

Sometimes in Washington we don't have snow during the winter. If a storm is coming you'll get a warning and Delta ( you're based in SLC and I guess that's your choice) will give you a waiver to chang your flight. You can stay till after the storm or take Amtrak/Delta before it hits. In this part of the country 90% of the time the weather comes from the West and we know exactly what's coming.

Edited by marylander1940

Flying makes no sense in the northeast for any trip under 300 miles. Trains don't make sense for most trips over 500 miles. Buses only make sense for trips under 150 miles. In bad weather, trains are more reliable than the other two.

If you are really going to Boston suburbs, rather than the city, some trains stop at the Route 128 station. And one train a day stops at Worcester and later Framingham.